Guide to DC neighborhoods

Too many neighborhoods in the city and not sure which is the best fit for you? Whether you're searching for trendy or toned-down, this guide can help you determine the distinct vibes and flavors of the many varied neighborhoods that make up the greater D.C. area.

Adams Morgan Metro: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan (red line)

Hailed by many as the best multicultural neighborhood in D.C., Adams Morgan is a great spot to spend the day or the evening. The area is rich in art, boutiques and architecture, with a restaurant scene the Washington, D.C., Convention and Tourism Corporation describes as "a veritable global village ranging from Ethiopian and Thai to Mexican and Indian." In the evenings, the area transforms into one of D.C.'s trendiest spots for nightlife, although it best serves the over-21 crowd. The Web site for one of the most popular bars, Madam's Organ, boasts that Adams Morgan is "widely known by Washingtonians for surpassing Georgetown as the number one place for restaurants and clubs in D.C." The Madam's Organ site also explains that Adams Morgan received its name from two former local schools, the Adams School and Morgan School, one of which was solely for white students and the other for black students. The name represents the merging of cultures that the neighborhood has come to represent.

Bethesda Metro: Bethesda (red line)

The best all-around spot for a more low-key evening with friends is Bethesda, Md. Just two Metro stops away from Tenleytown, Bethesda offers a comfortable atmosphere for young people both over and under 21. Although Georgetown may be trendier, Bethesda offers much of the same in terms of dining opportunities and a place to stroll without the hassle of Georgetown's traffic congestion or its inaccessibility. A broad range of restaurants are within walking distance of the Bethesda Metro station, and you can be fairly certain that you will get a pretty good meal at any restaurant you walk into. Top suggestions: Ri-Ra for upscale pub food of the Irish variety; the brewpub Rock Bottom for one of the best happy hours around; the British-themed pub Union Jacks for a creative menu and pool tables; and Italian restaurants Mama Lucia's or Olazzo for a nice dinner date.

Brookland Metro: Brookland/CUA (red line)

Although this neighborhood takes some time to travel to on the red line, it's a worthwhile trip, especially for those interested in Catholicism. According to the Washington, D.C., Convention and Tourism Corporation, the area known as "Little Rome" is home to over 60 institutions associated with the Catholic faith, including the Catholic University of America, the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center.

Capitol Hill Metro: Union Station (red line), Capital South or Eastern Market (blue-orange line)

An area constantly teeming with eager tourists and disgruntled politicians, the Capitol Hill neighborhood includes much more than just the Capitol itself. In the immediate vicinity, you can find the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court building, the Shakespeare Library and Union Station. Adding more flavor to the area is the thriving Eastern Market, which operates on the weekends (see the Eagle's Guide to D.C. Markets), and RFK stadium, which is currently serving as home base for the Washington Nationals.

Downtown Metro: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red-green-yellow line), Metro Center (red line), Archives-Navy Memorial (green-yellow line)

Downtown D.C. isn't credited with the most famous of landmarks or monuments, but it's full of treasures nonetheless. The old, historic streets are complemented perfectly by the busy mix of new entertainment venues and museums, such as the Woolly Mammoth Theater and the International Spy Museum, alongside the classics like Ford's Theatre. In the heart of the city, Metro stations are not difficult to come by and a stop in Chinatown is also a must before leaving the area.

Dupont Circle Metro: Dupont Circle (red line)

Named for the traffic circle it's centered around, this energetic neighborhood features a fascinating blend of museums, art galleries, ethnic restaurants and bookstores, including the must-visit Kramerbooks, which is open all night on the weekends. The park in the center of the circle is always bustling with activity, and coffee drinkers can find three Cosi's and three Starbucks in the area. For good food, consider the Luna Bar & Grille, Pizzeria Paradiso, La Tomate, Thai Chef, Zorba's or Otello's.

Friendship Heights Metro: Friendship Heights (red line)

The perfect alternative to Tenleytown once Guapo's and Angelico's grow tiresome is Friendship. It's a nicer area than Tenley to walk around and have dinner, and it's just as accessible - just a short walk past Tenley down Wisconsin Avenue. It's also quickly accessible by Metro, but, if it's a nice day, save yourself the fare. Booeymongers is a favorite for good, cheap sandwiches with friends, Chadwicks is perfect for a nicer dinner in a bar-pub atmosphere and Maggiano's or Cheesecake Factory are great for a dinner the parents are springing for. A peaceful walk to Borders for good books and chai makes for a lovely trip.

Foggy Bottom Metro: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue-orange line)

Near George Washington University, the Foggy Bottom neighborhood is named after the fog coming off of the nearby Potomac. The area is a diverse collection of homes, offices and restaurants but is best known for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and the Watergate complex, as well as the location of the Department of State.

Georgetown Metro: None; best accessible by any of the 30 buses - 32, 34, 36, etc. - or the GWU-Foggy Bottem Metro stop.

Brick sidewalks and charming architecture embody this most famous D.C. neighborhood, which began as an 18th-century tobacco port town, according to Cultural Tourism D.C. Today the area is best known for its shopping, dining and nightlife. Its shop-lined streets are usually crammed, especially with Georgetown University students, providing a very upbeat, fast-paced environment. You'd better have a lot of energy to embark on a journey to Georgetown, though; since there's no Metro rail station in the area, you'll need to learn to master the buses as well as the crowds. You'd also do well to bring plenty of cash; high-end boutiques make their home here, including L'Occitane, Lush, Puma, Lacoste and staples like the Gap and Urban Outfitters. There's also a fancy movie theatre and even a knitting shop.

Lafayette Square Metro: Farragut West, McPherson Square (blue-orange line)

Adjacent to the White House is Lafayette Square, an area rich in history and art. A fascinating place to take an afternoon stroll, the architecture of the buildings and sculptures reflect the power and elegance of the presidency. The Square's highlights include the Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Old Executive Office Building and the Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall.

U Street/Shaw Metro: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green line)

The Washington, D.C., Convention and Tourism Corporation Web site describes this neighborhood as the center of 20th-century African-American nightlife in D.C. and states that the area is once again thriving with crowds and clubs that rival those of Adams Morgan, although the clientele is generally older. During the day, visits to the African American Civil War Memorial and Lincoln Theatre are interesting stops. At any time of day, especially after talking in a show at the nearby Black Cat or 9:30 club (see The Eagle's Guide to Where to See Live Music), a stop at the legendary Ben's Chili Bowl is a must.

Woodley Park/Cleveland Park Metro: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park (red line)

Located near AU, this area is largely residential but serves as a great nearby afternoon escape, especially for lovers of nature and architecture. The National Cathedral, which the Washington, D.C., Convention and Tourism Corporation states is the sixth-largest cathedral in the world, is a must-see, as is the panda cub at the National Zoo. This area also is the home of Rock Creek Park, a great getaway spot to go for a jog.