Muslim sorority abides by traditions

No charter yet at AU

The idea of a Muslim sorority received mixed reactions from the AU community.

A new sorority, Gamma Gamma Chi, is holding information sessions across the country in order to garner support. The Muslim-oriented sorority is the first of its kind and was created last year by two converts to Islam, Althia Collins and her daughter, Imani Abdul-Haqq. However, there are currently no chapters on college campuses, according to USA Today.

Gamma Gamma Chi is a sorority that would adhere to the principles of Islam by prohibiting alcohol use and the casual interaction of men and women.

"Although we use Greek letters in name, we do not engage in doctrines that are traditionally associated with 'Greek life,'" Collins said on the sorority's Web site, www.gammagammachi.org.

According to Danny Kelley, the coordinator of Greek Life and Leadership at AU, Gamma Gamma Chi has not contacted AU about opening a chapter here, but the sorority would be welcome if it did.

The sorority would most likely fit in with AU's Greek community and other Greek communities nationally as well, he said.

"Even though we do have social events, and there is alcohol at these events sometimes, that is a very small part of Greek life and should never be a reason to join," Kelley said.

He cited the Christian-based sorority Alpha Nu Omega, which is an active participant in Greek events and fundraisers. He said he felt Muslim students could join traditional sororities and fraternities because there is such a huge mix of faiths within the Greek community. But if they desired a religion-based experience, AU is always very open when approached by students who do not find activities that fit their needs, Kelley said.

The sorority's programs are based upon its Golden Pillars: Islamic awareness and involvement; educational development; economic development and indigent support; environmental awareness and involvement; physical and mental health; and social awareness and involvement, according to Gamma Gamma Chi's Web site.

Nawal Mustafa, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said she could see why Muslim women would feel the need to create an alternative to traditional Greek life since they would not want to feel pressured to fulfill the expectations that often accompany being a part of a sorority and because the alcohol offered at social events is prohibited by Islam. She said she personally would not join Gamma Gamma Chi if it opened a chapter on campus.

"If there was a sorority like this at AU, I am not certain if it would automatically draw Muslims since 'Greek life' already has a negative connotation as a term," she said. "I have joined the more academic ones, and I know fellow Muslims who have done so, but sometimes, I feel this is more so due to less obligations groups like Alpha Lambda Delta offer in contrast to the others," Mustafa said.

According to the Web site, prospective members must have completed one semester at an accredited college institution and have at least a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 grading scale. There is no rush ceremony as of yet, but the Web site states that it is a possibility in the future as the sorority grows. Non-Muslims are welcome provided they adhere to the sorority's mission and ideals.

By 2015, the sorority hopes to have opened a chapter in every region of the U.S. and in several other nations.