AU tennis driven in final year

Winning is still women's goal despite cuts

Despite this year being its last, the AUs women's tennis team is striving for a winning season.

"We have a much stronger and deeper team then last year and we should be able to be competitive with many of the teams in the Patriot League," said junior co-captain Julie Colarusso.

All seven players say they encourage each other on and off of the court by cheering for each other during matches and then eating meals together.

"There is a common misconception that the team is different in some kind of way, but we are treating it like it is any other season," Colarusso said.

Coach Carol Daniels said she tells her players it is important to keep things in perspective, even though this is their last season. She said she believes there are worse things that could happen in life, and that a lot of motivation depends on the individual.

"Every single one of us is a competitive player and wants to prove themselves on the court," Colarusso said. "We keep our morale high and try to keep ourselves motivated."

In the Patriot League preseason poll, the team was picked to finish in sixth place, which is where it finished last year.

"This year we have great chemistry and great leadership on this team and you could not ask for more," Daniels said. "Talent-wise they are a great group of kids. They learn and absorb all of the information that I give them."

Since the tennis program was cut, the team lost four potential freshmen intended for this season, including its top recruit.

The team also lost three players - all of whom were top six players who competed regularly - by way of transfer to Gonzaga, Washington State and George Washington. Daniels said the presence of these players would have all but assured the program its third PL championship.

"It has been very difficult. We have lost some competitive players, but we have had to adjust to a lot of problems in the past," said senior co-captain Brandi Kligman.

In February 2005, the athletic department announced it would be cutting the men's and women's tennis teams and the men's golf team.

Although the team has had no new recruits, it does have several walk-on players, including two freshmen - Ali Harrison and Casey Coleman - and sophomore Alison Schmidt.

Harrison said she was attracted to the program by the positive things she heard about the team and expects to help the team go out with bang.

The Eagles lost their season-opener to Howard last week, 4-3. Their next match is Saturday against Townson.

Last year, the team was picked to finish second in the PL in the preseason poll coming off a victory in the 2004 PL tournament. But instead it finished with a record of 1-18.

Last season the team lost four of its top six players. The record merely reflects the loss of crucial players who changed in the lineup, although the team still performed well, Daniel said.

"We had kids that really stepped up to the plate when needed, and it just did not show in the final result," she said.

This year also marks Daniels 10th season at AU, which she calls rewarding after winning conference titles in 2002 and 2004. She said she empathizes with others involved in the program, but is now exploring other avenues in life.