Any takers for Nats?

I don't know if anyone's interested, but there's a baseball team for sale. They're potentially pretty good, they're local and they've just cleared a plan to build a brand-new park. Any takers?

OK, so maybe it's not that easy. It's not like Major League Baseball can just take out a want ad. Besides, how attractive would that really even look on paper? "Owner wanted for expensive D.C.-area baseball team that doesn't yet have a permanent place to play or lineup for the upcoming season. Call Bud Selig for details."

Admittedly, the task of finding the Nationals a new owner is a daunting one. In the past couple years, the team has faced a host of crises, everything from relocation to rebuilding. The owner situation got pushed to the back burner amidst the question marks, as the priority early-on was putting together a team and finding them a place to play in time for the season to start.

And you could definitely argue the Nats have been successful at filling in most of the blanks so far, finding a temporary playing space at RFK Stadium, hiring a new general manager in Jim Bowden and putting together a team that finished .500 in its first season.

Though bogged down with problems, in reality the Nationals are a pretty good sell. One of the biggest draws is their location. Being in the nation's capital puts a huge spotlight on the team, bringing it all kinds of attention.

Ffans here have been hungry for a team since the Senators skipped town in 1971. They proved it with an average attendance last season of more than 33,000, which is comparable to attendance at Fenway Park.

But not even the Red Sox (or any other team for that matter) can boast what the Nats have, which is the regular attendance of one particular local baseball fan who just happens to be the president of the United States.

Realistically, the Nationals can be both a good baseball team and a cash cow. The team made a few good offseason signings, bolstered its bullpen and looks to make a run at the playoffs this season.

It had the 23rd highest payroll in baseball last season even without an owner. They exist in a market where the household income is higher than that of both New York and Boston, two of the biggest markets in the game

If the Nats are a literal home run, why isn't anyone buying? The truth is, it's not lack of interest that's causing the team to remain orphaned, but rather a lack of decision making.

Since last summer, several groups have expressed interest in buying the team and have submitted bids to the league. As of now, there are reportedly eight groups in the running to buy the team with bids of over $450 million.

So what's taking so long? Because of its value and location, baseball wants to make sure it picks the most compatible ownership.

Some analysts have said political issues (including potential owner's party affiliations) have been a factor in the delay. The team has an undeniable political connection because it is in the District Baseball has rejected that notion, with president Bob DuPuy saying they just want "someone who has a commitment to the community and someone who has the financial wherewithal to both own and operate a team."

Well if that's true, Bob, where's the problem? With eight wealthy and willing candidates in line, it seems like a no-brainer. But as with everything for this team, it seems that nothing is ever as easy at it looks.

Even though the new owner isn't going to be your average Joe answering a want ad, he might as well be. We could be in for a long wait before a decision is made.