National briefs

War criminal surrenders under negotiation

General Ratko Mladic, an accused war criminal, has been located in Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro and officials are negotiating his surrender, according to USA Today.

Mladic is accused of horrific war crimes committed during the Balkan wars, and has been located on a mountain west of Belgrade.

The U.S. and European Union have heavily pressured Serbia to locate and arrest Mladic after allegedly overseeing the massacre of 8,000 Muslims boys and men during a raid on the Bosnian capital of Sarajevo.

General Mladic is under indictment by a United Nations court for 15 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Apple virus attacks instant messaging

A new rare virus affecting Apple computers has sprung up on the Internet in an email disguising itself as information about Apple's next operating system.

Users must click on the attached pictures in the email, which installs the virus on the user's computer. The virus spreads by transmitting itself using the Apple instant messaging program iChat, sending the virus to every contact on the user's buddy list.

Despite the possibilities, industry officials downplayed the threat.

"Whoever wrote this isn't particularly skillful," Andrew Welch, president of Ambrosia Software Inc. told the Post. "It's not a very viral virus, I'll put it that way."

Typically, Apple computers have avoided viruses that were written for PCs due to Apple's lower market share.

Harvard president to step down

Harvard University President Larry Summers will step down as President at the end of this academic year, the Associated Press reported Tuesday.

Summers is stepping down after recent turmoil over controversial comments he made during his tenure. In 2005, he said gender differences between men and women may account for the lack of women in the math and science fields.

After the statement, Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences gave Summers a 218-185 vote of no confidence. The vote is symbolic due to Harvard Corporation's exclusive authority to fire the president.

High-tech equipment stolen from GMU

High-tech equipment totaling $85,000 was stolen from George Mason University's Innovation Hall on Feb. 13, according to university police.

Three suspects entered the building at approximately 3 a.m. and were caught on video cameras stealing Apple computers, overhead projectors and video production equipment.

The thieves appeared to know the building's layout and police think they had a key to enter the building.

Police are hoping someone will identify a woman seen on the tape wearing a sweatshirt that says "78."

GMU Police have contacted other universities in the area including AU, and sent the schools a flyer with information about the crime, said Detective Thomas Bacigalupi of the GMU Police.