Hoops notes: Adams pumps up the family

In a crucial Patriot League contest, freshman guard Derrick Mercer ran the team's offense while being assigned to guard one of Colgate's best scorers.

Mercer was matched up on defense with Colgate senior Alvin Reed, who scored 17 points in a victory against AU last season. Although Reed led Colgate with 14 points and six assists, he shot just 5 of 14 from the field and scored six of his points after the result of the game was no longer in doubt.

"Derrick didn't shut him down, but he did a solid job on a very good player," AU coach Jeff Jones said. "He's been a thorn in our side ever since we joined the league."

On the offensive side of court, Mercer started off the game strong, hitting his first shot, a 3-pointer, to put the Eagles up 10-2. In total, he scored 14 points and dished out six assists in 37 minutes, matching Reed's performance.

In the second half, Mercer was visibly exhausted after playing all but one minute of the game. With him seemingly out of gas, AU's offense struggled, not scoring any points for a three-minute stretch.

However, after a timeout and a short rest on the bench, Mercer checked back into the game to help AU hold onto the lead, hitting three free throws in the last two minutes.

But after the game, he was focused on the rest of the season, especially next month's PL tournament.

"We have at least four games left, and hopefully we can make a run," he said.

Lay shines in expanded role

Sophomore forward Travis Lay played well in extended minutes against Colgate, scoring seven points and adding three rebounds in 18 minutes of action. For the season, Lay is averaging 2.6 points in 11.3 minutes.

In the first half, Lay was put in the game after forwards Brayden Billbe and Brian Gilmore picked up two fouls each, forcing them to the bench. Lay scored four points and recorded a steal in the half. His solid play earned him playing time in the second half.

"In the second half, I gave him Brian's minutes," Jones said. "He did a real nice job today"