Freshmen learn AU alcohol policies early to combat high drinking rate

In order to counter the dangerous drinking habits of freshmen, AU begins letting students and parents know about its dry-campus policies before classes begin. Freshmen orientation programs are now the starting point for alcohol education and its consequences.

Katsura Beltz, director of Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services, and Sara Waldron, associate dean of students, have a session in orientation where they talk to both parents and incoming students about alcohol and drugs on campus, the judicial system and medical transports for alcohol, according to Waldron.

"One of my concerns is the correlation between drinking and the students' heightened risk for sexual assault, to engage in unwanted sexual activity or unprotected sex," Waldron said.

Part of the orientation involves a video made by students and staff to educate students about AU's policies on drugs and alcohol. The next day there is a more serious talk about drugs and alcohol for both parents and students, according to Tiffany Sanchez, director of New Student Programs.

"Our goal is to raise awareness among students and parents about the university's policies on alcohol," Sanchez said. "There is no way to tell if the program stops students from drinking on campus, but it definitely informs them about the policies and possible punishments."

A survey after last year's orientation program reported that 93.3 percent of students felt they were more familiar with AU's alcohol policies after the program.

Student orientation leaders like Janice Smith, a senior in the School of Public Affairs and the College of Arts and Sciences, also reiterate the no-alcohol policy to the new students.

"As an orientation leader, we tell the new students about AU's dry campus policy and that drinking is not tolerated in the dorms," Smith said. "Though people drink in the dorms, orientation leaders try and deter it by letting students know about the punishments."

Alcohol is prohibited in the residence halls and students who are found with alcohol could face disciplinary action, according to the AU student handbook. However, students who are in need of medical help because of alcohol will not be in trouble if they call for help.

"While there is no judicial case filed for students who are transported for alcohol overdose, there is a carefully planned intervention to educate them about the risks they are incurring, and we involve their families to ensure that they are getting the assistance they may need," said Faith Leonard, assistant vice president and dean of students.

Students had mixed feelings about the information AU presented to them about alcohol.

"During orientation the students and parents were separated when it came time to talk about alcohol at school," said Kelsey Williams, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. "We were told it was a dry campus and the punishments if you were caught with alcohol. The parents talk was more hardcore, which I think they did to comfort them about their kids leaving home."

"I don't even remember the alcohol part of orientation, but I doubt it really deterred many kids from drinking," said Candice Hetchler, a sophomore in the School of International Service. "If it did, maybe at first for a few weeks, but then once they saw that everyone else drinks on campus then that kind of sets it off."

While orientation programs help, the best way to keep students from drinking in excess is if they get help from their peers, according to USA Today.

"Probably what the orientation programs are doing now is the best because I'm sure it reaches a few kids," Hetchler said. "At the same time, once freshmen get into their surroundings I don't think anything but themselves or their friends can change their minds"