Third season is the charm

In junior year, Eitutavicius finds scoring touch

With a 6-13 record and an offense that has struggled to consistently score points, the AU men's basketball team hasn't exactly had a successful first half of the season.

But one of the major bright spots for the Eagles this season has been the improved play of junior guard Arvydas Eitutavicius, who has transformed from marginal role player to the second leading scorer on the team with 11.3 points per game.

Eitutavicius saw action in just 12 games last season after playing in three games his freshman year. But with freshmen Garrison Carr, Derrick Mercer and sophomore transfer Romone Penny joining established starters Andre Ingram and Linas Lekavicius at the guard position, there was no guarantee Eitutavicius would get much playing time this season.

After last season ended, Eitutavicius had a meeting with coach Jeff Jones to discuss his options for the future with the team. This conversation was a turning point in his development as a player.

"Coach told me that this year was going to be very competitive in the guard position, with Linas and the three new players," Eitutavicius said. "Over the summer, I took care of my body and worked really hard."

Eitutavicius' offseason training paid off immediately. In the first game of the season at Washington, he scored 16 points in 26 minutes, shattering his previous career high of four points. While his sudden offensive outburst may have surprised AU fans, it was not a shock to Jones.

"The No. 1 reason is opportunity," said Jones when asked about the factors responsible for Eitutavicius' improved play. "In past years, we recognized his ability. He's a hungry player, able to make plays."

Eitutavicius' strong play in the opening game continued as the season went on, and he was inserted into the starting lineup for the Nov. 29 game against Loyola (Md.). He tied for the team high that game with 14 points.

Eitutavicius said he wasm't surprised at his solid play to start the season and believes the faith that Jones showed in putting him on the court has given him more confidence in his game.

"I always knew inside myself that I could play," said Eitutavicius. "I just try to play my best and get more minutes."

After starting eight games, Eitutavicius was pulled from the starting lineup for the Dec. 29 game against Vermont and has come off of the bench