Religious conflict cancels KU class

Course spurred debate over intelligent design

A controversial new course at the University of Kansas has been canceled after it was revealed its instructor sent disparaging e-mails about Christian fundamentalists and creationists, according to The Washington Post.

The course, "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and Other Religious Mythologies," was to be taught by Professor Paul Mirecki until e-mails surfaced in which he called religious conservatives "fundies" and said his course would be a "nice slap in their big fat face," according to The Washington Post.

Mirecki later apologized in a press release.

"I made a mistake in not leading by example, in this student organization e-mail forum, the importance of discussing differing viewpoints in a civil and respectful manner," he said in the statement.

Kansas Provost David Shulenburger expressed support for Mirecki to continue his work in religious studies in the press release.

"We still think the course itself not only has merit but is important and should be taught at some point," Shulenburger said in the statement.

Mike Godzwa, a chaplain at the Kay Spiritual Life Center and advisor to the Chi Alpha Christian fellowship, said controversy about these issues is not always necessary.

"When you're talking about myths, it doesn't have to mean a false story - it's the genre of literature you're referring to," he said.

The tone of a class can often depend on a professor, Godzwa said. If he heard of a class discussing a Christian belief as a myth, Godzwa said he would speak with the professor before making a decision whether or not the class was offensive.

"Sometimes the Christian community can be too quick to make judgment calls," he said.

He said he feels the issue of creationism and creation science does not necessarily strike at the heart of the Christian faith the way the belief in Jesus as the Messiah does. The debate is instead driven by those on both sides of the debate who "make philosophical claims based on evolution's findings, when in fact the science of evolution doesn't make any claims as to where life was created," Godzwa said.

Some AU students feel divided on the intelligent design issue.

"I don't think [intelligent design] is a good thing and the separation of church and state doesn't allow religion in schools," said Laura Lauver, a grad student. "Maybe they can talk about the controversy, but don't teach intelligent design, teach science as the facts."

Chad Flores, a Washington College of Law student, feels that evolution and intelligent design should be taught concurrently.

"The debate itself is an important educational tool," Flores said. "Don't teach just one exclusively"