Metro briefs

Environmental violation found at GW

The D.C. Health Department found George Washington University in violation of federal environmental law after an inspection last August revealed improper hazardous material storage in a building on GW's campus.

GW University was non-compliant with parts of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act - a set of federal environmental guidelines - according to the EPA's Web site, which was last updated in November.

D.C. Health Department officials inspected GW on Aug. 24, according to the EPA's online compliance database. University officials said two violations were found in Corcoran Hall, where the Office of Risk Management stores hazardous waste awaiting removal. Corcoran Hall also houses the chemistry and physics departments.

Non-compliance with federal environmental regulations is not a new problem to GW or other nearby colleges, according to the EPA's Web site, www.epa.gov.

-KATE OCZYPOK

Man killed in NW nightclub stabbing

A 23-year old Maryland man became the second homicide in Northwest nightclubs this year Friday after he was fatally stabbed in a fight, according to The Washington Post.

The fight occurred Thursday night at Ascot Restaurant, which is a restaurant by day and a club at night, at 17th and L streets near Connecticut Avenue. Police closed Ascot following the incident using emergency powers that can keep the club closed for as long as four days while they investigate.

This is the first stabbing inside Ascot, but between June 2003 and March 2004, there were three stabbings outside the club and the District's liquor board held its own investigation into Ascot's history in January of this year, but decided to take no action.

This follows a string of other violence occurrences at NW nightclubs this year. Last month four men were wounded by gunfire outside of Kili's Kafe and another man was fatally stabbed in February at Club U, according to the Post.

Police are continuing the investigation and searching for both the assailant and witnesses.

- KELLY KERR