Volleyball fetches win vs. Retrievers

Sluggish showing still good enough for win over UMBC

From the opening game to the final point, AU woman's volleyball team had played better matches. Multiple times during its bout against the Maryland-Baltimore County Retrievers Tuesday night at Bender Arena, there was miscommunication between the AU players that led to several Retrievers points.

Despite some missteps, the Eagles (15-8) had no problem dispensing the Retrievers (10-13) sweeping them, 3-0 (30-22, 30-24, and 30-24).

The Eagles were led by freshman outside hitter Rubena Sukaj, who had 16 kills and shot .609 for the match. Sukaj ended the first game with a mighty kill. Also leading the Eagles to victory were middle blockers Cutrina Biddulph and Chelsea Brooks, who had 14 and nine kills respectively. Christina Nash added 34 set assists. The Eagles shot .315 for the match.

The first game of the match was the most competitive. The teams were tied, 17-17, when the Eagles separated themselves with a 4-0 run then closed out the match with a 5-0 run. Overall the Eagles shot .462 for the game

Neither team played the second game particularly well. UMBC shot -.069 for the match and there were 16 errors between both teams. But the Eagles took the lead early and never relinquished it. The Retrievers made a small rally late in the game, but it was not enough as the Eagles won 30-24 to get the second game.

The third and final game featured more of the same. The Eagles took control of the match and UMBC tried a late rally but fell short again, losing, 30-24.

The Eagles go on the road for the weekend to take on conference foes Colgate and Bucknell. The Eagles are leading the Patriot League with a 7-1 record with Army on their heels at 6-1 as AU tries to clinch their fifth straight Patriot League title.

The Eagles return to Bender Arena Tuesday night where they take on Howard in a non-conference match-up.