Sports briefs

Men's Soccer gets first '05 road win at Bucknell

The AU men's soccer team will play for the right to host the Patriot League tournament this Saturday after winning at Bucknell last Saturday, 2-1.

AU freshman midfielder Stephen Romeo's first career goal won it in the 71st minute, created by an assist from AU junior forward Larry Mark. Three minutes before, Bucknell (7-6-3, 3-3-0) had tied it on an Andy Kummer goal.

Freshman midfielder Philip Purdy struck first for AU in the 23rd minute, off an assist junior forward Garth Juckem.

AU (5-8-1, 4-2-0) visits Penn Wednesday before closing its PL season with a vital clash against Army. A victory over the Black Knights would guarantee the Eagles host the PL tournament on the following weekend. Army is currently in last in the PL

Volleyball rolls to Lehigh Valley sweep.

The AU volleyball team won at Lehigh Saturday, pushing its mark to 11-1 in the PL with two home games left on its league schedule.

The Eagles took a 3-1 decision (31-29, 20-30, 30-26, 30-22) behind double-digit kills from four different players. Sophomore Elizabeth Maloney led with 14 kills. Senior Jennifer Cosco added 21 digs.

AU defeated Lafayette, 3-0 (30-20, 30-21, 30-24), on Friday night. Senior Cutrina Biddulph had three blocks and two block assists.

Women's soccer's season ends in Colgate loss

The AU women's soccer team crashed out of the Patriot League playoff picture on the final day of the regular season, losing at PL co-leaders Colgate, 3-1, Saturday night.

Colgate (12-4-1, 6-1 PL) opened a 2-0 lead with a 30th minute goal from Jackie Burch followed by a Josie Johnson goal five minutes later.

Freshman winger Lauren Esposito struck in the 52nd minute for the Eagles, assisted by senior forward Natalie Rodovsky. But Colgate's Carolyn Warhaftig put the Raiders up by two again six minutes later.

AU finishes the season 5-10-2 (2-3-2 PL), and in fifth in the league standings, one spot shy of the playoffs.

Colgate will be the No. 2 seed at the PL tournament, battling No. 3 Army in its semifinal No. 1 Lehigh will host, and play No. 4 Bucknell in its semifinal.