Sports briefs

XC men, women win George Mason invite

The AU men's and women's cross country teams swept first-place honors at the George Mason Invitational Saturday. AU sophomore Steve Hallinan took the men's individual title in 24:43, his career-best 8,000 meter time. Junior Brendan Fennell took second in 25:12, and freshman Kevin Tschirhart took fourth. Senior Zaia Wharton led the AU women with a second place finish of 14:50 over four kilometers. Sophomores Cathleen Ford and Kate Lilley were the second and third AU runners. Ford finished in 14:56, Lilley at 15:09.

Men's soccer falls in another one goal loss

The AU men's soccer team (2-6-1) lost its fifth one-goal game of the season in double overtime at Loyola, 3-2, Saturday. AU is still 1-1 in the Patriot League. Danny Wheelan scored the winner in the 106th minute, finishing Rade Kokovic's second assist of the day. Frank Spano's Loyola equalizer tied it at two in the 71st minute. AU took the lead in the second half with two set piece goals crafted by junior midfielder Garth Juckem. The first was a solo effort in the 48th minute, the second a redirection off junior forward Sal Caccavale in the 55th.