Blackboard network plans to merge with WebCT company

Move joins two largest higher education networks

AU's Internet-based course networking system, Blackboard, and another similar leading e-learning company, WebCT, began planning last week for their merger, a move that will join two of the largest higher education learning networks in the world.

Blackboard operates AU's student and faculty communication system, allowing professors to post assignments and grades and students to virtually interact with teachers and classmates. It also operates the AU EagleBucks system.

Both Blackboard and WebCT have been dominating the e-learning market among colleges across the U.S.

A spokesperson for Blackboard said there will be several changes in store for its users that will include developments in research, support and resources.

"We think this is going to be a catalyst for the industry in how innovation and e-learning will be developed," Blackboard public relations manager Melissa Chotiner said. "We see this as being very positive and beneficial to the more than 3,700 [colleges and institutions] that use Blackboard."

Blackboard has already created a new edition of the software-yet to be released, and is continuing to work on future updates and software improvements. They also hope to add more features and consolidate their resources in the merger to become a more effective education software provider, Chotiner said.

However, clients are expressing concerns about whether Blackboard's costumer service and support will improve. In the past, many of Blackboard's users have complained about the company's struggle to provide adequate costumer care, according to InsideHigherEd.com.

"We will be able to do more research and development, and we think that you will see improvements," Chotiner said. "[But] there will still be two separate companies and two separate support departments for now."

AU has used Blackboard for about five years, and has had few problems using their product or its 24-hour support service, according to AU web courseware manager James McCabe.

"There is no product out there that is superior to Blackboard. We've had a good relationship with them. ... They physically have come to campus to get control feedback on it," he said about the software, which costs the university more than $60,000 annually to use.

Students like being able to always have access to their documents and grades, and over 85 percent of the faculty uses the program, McCabe said.

But some AU students have mixed opinions about the software system and its usefulness. Josh Lortie, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, said he does not like using the program, but professors posting their lectures on Blackboard can be helpful.

"Basically, it's used as a way for teachers to harass you," Lortie said. "It's a good way to keep in touch, but you can do it more effectively by sending a mass e-mail, which I check more anyway."

Some students are satisfied with Blackboard and use it on a regular basis, especially to check grades.

Sarah Fuller, a sophomore in the School of International Service, said she checks Blackboard about once every other day and all of her professors use it.

"I like Blackboard because it makes it easier for students to connect to their classes and teachers. ... The system never goes down, I never have a problem with it," Fuller said.

Even though Blackboard's merger with WebCT will cement their grip on the market, newer alternatives like the MIT-developed Sakai and higher education software newcomer Moodle are quickly catching on.

AU trustee Matthew Pittinsky is chairman and co-founder of Blackboard, Inc. Pittinsky was named entrepreneur of the year in 2000 for his work in creating Blackboard.

AU will continue to use Blackboard until something drastic happens in price or product, according to the university's technology department.