Alumni, parents speak out about Ladner

Many clueless as probe continues

Although AU has been appearing in the headlines of numerous news outlets due to the ongoing Ladner probe, many parents and alumni feel out of the loop about the investigation into President Benjamin Ladner's spending, and those who have heard the news are concerned about money management at the university.

Sherry Stevens, a mother in New Hampshire whose son Mark is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she did not know what was happening.

"I have no idea what's going on. Mark said it had something to do with [Ladner's] salary," Stevens said.

Sheila Desrochers, mother of an AU student, said that the only reason she knew about the situation was because her daughter had called her and told her what was happening and she began follow the news about it online.

"I fully expected that my [tuition] money would go to faculty and improving the school... not that the president would be living like the CEO of a Fortune 500 company," Desrochers said. "I really think [the university] has a responsibility to tell the parents. The only letter I got was about parents weekend... that's wrong on the part of the university."

Many alumni are also reacting to the Ladner investigation. Marc Malon II, who graduated with his B.A. last year and is currently a graduate student at AU, began an alumni petition calling for Ladner's resignation last Tuesday. As of Friday night, more than 650 alumni had signed the petition.

"I wasn't expecting that much that quickly," Malon said.

He said that as of Thursday night he had not received a single signature or e-mail from an alumnus supporting Ladner's continuation as president.

The online petition is the first some have heard of the investigation.

"I e-mailed the petition to a lot of my friends, and two e-mailed me back that they didn't have any idea what was happening. One is in Florida and the other is in Australia. They didn't know," said Amy Shah, an alumna who graduated in May 2005.

The petition included a comment section where many alumni vented their frustration.

"I have always made it a point to give money and help out as an alum but now, what's the point?" wrote alumna Pamela Deguia in an email. "He has to be held accountable, and the school has to show that they are doing something positive with our $45,000 a year."

Some alums have already refused to donate money to the university because of Ladner's actions.

"I have refused to donate to American University as an alumni because of Ladner's tenure," wrote Greg Gorski of the class of 1998.

However, not all alumni agree that Ladner's actions will affect if or how much they donate.

Nicole Campbell, an alumna who now works at the School of International Service graduate admissions office said that while she was upset and concerned, her donations would not be affected by what happens to Ladner.

"I love American and I love SIS and I'm not supporting Ladner," Campbell said. I'm supporting the school."

Campbell said that while she has not received any phone calls from concerned prospective students about the situation, "We don't want this to negatively affect admission to the school."

Polson Kanneth, who graduated in May also agreed that he would donate to AU no matter what happens with Ladner.

"Being involved, I know how important the donations are," Kanneth said. "I don't think it'll affect me and my donation, but I know people who won't [donate]."

According to Kanneth, he has been following the situation rather closely.

"It hurts to see your alma mater in the newspaper like that.... Our university is better than this, we deserve better than this," Kanneth said.

There are donors who continue supporting Ladner and his leadership. At a student rally last Wednesday, Dr. Cyrus Katzen, who donated $15 million in cash and artwork to the new Katzen Arts Center, was present passing out fliers in support of Ladner, the Eagle previously reported. He called the protest "The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard" and said "Dr. Ladner built this school."

Al Checcio of the Office of Development reassured alumni that donations are not used to finance the president's budget in a memo sent out Tuesday.

"Many of you [alumni] expressed concern about your contributions to AU. Let me assure you that no donations to the university are involved in any way with this issue. All funds given to the university are used exclusively in the manner designated by the donor," he wrote.