Washington College of Law introduces Podcasting service

Law school to broadcast classes and events

The Washington College of Law has begun Podcasting many of the school's lectures and events, a program that is the first of its kind among law schools.

Podcasts are a new addition to iTunes, the music-downloading program popular among many college students. They are website audiocasts that are automatically delivered to computers through a subscription system. Users can listen to the downloaded files on their iPods or other mp3 players.

"The only school we know of that has Podcasted material is Hamlin Law School in North Dakota, but a lot of material has not been updated," said Korin Munsterman, director of technology at WCL. "It possibly could have been a student organization Podcasting the material, so we appear to be the first school to be officially Podcast."

Podcasts are a new addition to iTunes, the music-downloading program popular among many college students. They are website audiocasts that are automatically delivered to computers through a subscription system.

Almost one third of people who own iPods or other MP3 players have listened to Podcasts, Online magazine reported in its current issue. That number is roughly a tenth of all Internet users.

"Podcasts will be beneficial to our law school community in many ways," Munsterman said. "For instance, our international students who may speak English as a second language can modulate the playback speed. Also, many of our large evening programs will be Podcasted so more people can listen and participate when it's convenient for them."

Adam Cohen, a third year student at WCL and president of the Student Bar Association, has listened to a Podcast explaining the purpose of the program. "I think it's a great tool," he said. "The Student Bar Association is working to interview professors for future Podcasts."

Classes will also be Podcast for students who are unable to attend class due to excusable absences, according to a press release.

"I feel that the program could take off on the main campus," Munsterman said.

Madi Joyce, a sophomore in the School of Communication, said that Podcasting on main campus has both positive and negative aspects.

"I think that bringing the program to campus could be good if you're genuinely sick but on the other hand it encourages missing class."

She said she would listen to Podcasts if they were available to main campus students, Joyce said.

"I think it's a great idea and could be useful to many students."

In addition to lectures, WCL plans to Podcast events and interviews with professors who teach at the school.

The school launched an interview last week with an expert on human rights who has worked with prisoners in Guantanamo Bay, Munsterman said.

Throughout the year, WCL will continue to provide additional Podcasting content at: http://wcl.american.edu/podcast/index.rss2 . More information on Podcasting will be provided at an Oct. 5 conference sponsored by Apple at WCL, according to Munsterman.