Sports briefs

Volleyball set back at Pitt Volleyball Classic

The AU Women's Volleyball team suffered a disappointing weekend at the Pitt Volleyball Classic, dropping both of its matches against Pittsburgh and Maryland.

In the first game against Pittsburgh the Eagles fought back from an early 2-0 deficit only to lose in five games, 3-2. Senior Cutrina Biddulph led the way for the Eagles with 21 kills but it was not enough to overcome a Pitt team that was 2004's Big East Runner up.

After losing to Pitt the Eagles turned immediately around to face powerful ACC contender Maryland. The Terrapins dominated a tired Eagles team that hit only 14.4 percent of their shots for winners.

The losses bring the team's record to 3-4. The team plays Long Beach State University in San Diego next on September 16.

Men's XC finishes 2nd in Georgetown meet

The AU Men's Cross Country team finished second in this weekend's Georgetown Invitational behind top ten finishes from junior Conor Lanz and senior Philip Turner.

Lanz finished in fourth place overall with a time of 20:56 on the 4.1 mile course while Turner came in seventh with a time of 21:09.

With an eleventh place finish from sophomore Awit Yohannes the team captured 51 overall points, 34 behind Georgetown, which won the tournament.

Georgetown's Brian Dalpiaz, Matt DeBole, and Charlie Milioen finished in a three-way tie for first place overall with a time of 20:56.

The team is back in action September 17 at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md.