Thursday, May 2, 2024

Sports Brief: Glenn Named Freshman of the Year

AU 184-pounder Josh Glenn was named the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association's Freshman of the Year, league officials announced Monday. Glenn becomes the first AU wrestler to win a season-ending award since AU joined the EIWA three years ago.

In the 2004-05 season, Glenn was ranked No. 2 in the conference and finished as runner-up in the conference tournament, losing the championship bout to Cornell's Tyler Baier. H then went on to win twice at the NCAA championships in St. Louis.

"Josh's off-season work ethic was why he was able to accomplish so much this year," AU head coach Mark Cody told www.AUEagles.com. "We are very proud of him. He has taken on the leadership role, and he is already back in the wrestling room getting prepared for next season."

Glenn finished the season 28-9 overall and was consistently ranked among the top 20 wrestlers in his weight class nationwide.

Glenn was just one of many notable performers for the AU Wrestling team this season. Senior 174-pounder Daniel Waters became AU's first wrestling All-American after his top-8 performance at the NCAA championships. AU finished in 32nd place in the tournament, its highest team finish in program history.