Pope remembered by university

Chaplains and students share stories about John Paul II

Pope John Paul II, who led the Catholic Church for 26 years, died Saturday morning after a long battle with Parkinson's disease and weeks after undergoing a tracheotomy to aid his breathing.

The pope's heart failed on Thursday, and his kidneys and circulation began to fail, which caused his condition to worsen.

"I think John Paul was one of the greatest popes we ever had," said Karin Thornton, associate Catholic chaplain at AU. "He was admired and respected around the world and traveled to so many different countries. ... He just had tremendous charisma."

Father William Gurnee, AU's Catholic chaplain, met Pope John Paul in Rome when Gurnee was secretary to Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, archbishop of Washington, D.C.

"I had the privilege of meeting the Holy Father at one of his last private Masses," Gurnee said. "It was an amazing moment and quite a thrill. ... I remember kissing his ring and seeing him smile."

John Paul celebrated private Mass every day for 30 people from around the world until he became too ill, Gurnee said. He was able to attend the second to last of these private services.

Gurnee's ordination card, which all priests are given after their ordination ceremony, has a quote from John Paul II that reads, "Despite her humble weaknesses, the Church never tires of proclaiming Christ."

"I was 15 years old when he was elected pope, so his life and accomplishments have been very important to my personal life and priesthood," Gurnee said.

Erin Hinchey, a senior and president of AU's Catholic Student Association, attended World Youth Day in Rome in 2000. World Youth Day began in 1986 as a way for Catholic young people to celebrate their faith together. Hinchey remembers the pope as welcoming and inspiring when she saw him that year.

"The pope was a great leader and a role model for all of us," she said. "I remember chanting 'JP II we love you!' at World Youth Day and seeing him go up to the microphone and chant 'JP II loves you too!' "

Danielle Imhoff, a sophomore and technical adviser of the CSA, said she feels that John Paul II set a huge precedent of what it means to be pope because of his work.

"He was well-versed in so many languages and was so involved in communities around the world," she said.

The pope was also influential to members of other faiths. He was the first pope to apologize for previous Catholic sins during the Crusades and anti-Semitism.

"I think a lot of people don't appreciate the fact that he was the first pope to set foot in a mosque," said Nadine Sabet, a freshman in the School of International Service and a member of the Baha'I faith.

Since the announcement about the severity of the pope's illness, there has been an outpouring of support from Catholics in the AU community.

Rich Vitale, a junior who is studying to become a priest at the Diocese of Rockville Centre, said he believes that the pope is extraordinarily holy.

"He had a brilliant policy and diplomacy and is inspirational," he said. "He showed us as Catholics how to come together as a people."

Mike Inganamort, a Catholic and president of the AU College Republicans, expressed the pope's importance.

"Pope John Paul II is an incredible inspiration to all of humanity," he said. "He believed every human being deserved dignity and freedom- and he wasn't afraid to act on it, he's a hero."

Josh Sticklin, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, said the pope was meaningful to his life.

"I look to him, his teachings and his life for inspiration and an example of true faith," he said.

Meg Kenny, a sophomore in the School of Communication and the College of Arts and Sciences, has experienced John Paul II's papacy since she was born.

"He was a figurehead to the church, and has been the same figurehead my whole life," Kenny said. "It will be odd not to see him as pope anymore."

Kenny said she is interested in the extensive, symbolic process of picking a new pope. The selection method is a highly secretive process that begins within 20 days of the pope's death.

After a pope dies, the dean of the Sacred College of Cardinals notifies the cardinals and calls a meeting, known as a conclave, to elect a new pontiff.

The selection takes place in the Vatican Palace in total secrecy. Each of the approximately 120 active cardinals, those under the age of 80, votes by ballot for a new pope. Until there is a majority vote, the ballots are burned with a chemical that creates black smoke, which can be seen from outside the palace. When a majority is reached, the ballots are burned alone, creating white smoke, and signaling a new pope has been chosen.

The pope-elect is asked whether he accepts the nomination, and if he accepts, he selects a name for himself. The oldest cardinal then goes out on a balcony overlooking St. Peter's Square and announces and introduces the new leader.

Karol Wojtyla, born in Poland, was inaugurated as Pope John Paul II in 1978. Scripture tells Catholics the pope is usually considered as the successor of Saint Peter, the apostle of Jesus who was told to head the church after his death, Gurnee explained. Popes are considered not only successors of Saint Peter, but also direct connections to the original apostles.

The Catholic community at AU will hold a candlelight vigil for the pope at 8:15 in Kay Spiritual Center, the day before the his funeral, which is usually held four to six days after a Pope's death.

Staff writer Lauren Gardner contributed to this article.