Students prepare for Super Bowl parties

For some it is the culmination of the ultimate sports season; for others it's just a time to watch some of the world's best commercials. It's the Super Bowl - one of college students' favorite events.

At AU and all over the country, students will gather on Sunday night to watch one of sports' and television's greatest spectacles. Whether students cheer on the Philadelphia Eagles or New England Patriots in this year's contest, it seems they're more concerned with making the most of a shared experience.

"I'm getting together with some friends in the lounge to watch the Eagles upset the Patriots," said Joe Vidulich, a freshman. "Super Bowl-watching is a team sport."

More than 150 million people worldwide, including 30 million people under the age of 21, watch the Super Bowl.

With the demand for a good place to watch the game at a premium, many organizations are stepping up their accommodations. The Residence Hall Association is planning a free bash that includes, of course, free food.

In addition, some greek life organizations have planned trips to restaurants, such as Guapo's, so that members can enjoy the game and talk with their friends. However, while trips out may be fun, some students prefer watching the game in a slightly smaller environment.

"I'm getting together with some kids in their dorm and ordering a pizza," said Seth Glick, a sophomore at George Washington University.

Even for those who have little interest in the game itself, the Super Bowl is still something that sparks some interest.

"I'm going to watch the Super Bowl probably to see the commercials," said Alexis Odesser, a student in the School ofCommunication, "and to see the teams beat each other."

"I'm getting together with some friends in the lounge ... Super Bowl-watching is a team sport."

- Joe Vidulich,Freshman

"The commercials are there so we can take a bathroom break," Vidulich said.

Each commercial for this year's game costs an average of $2.4 million per 30-second spot, which is a record for Super Bowls, according to CNN.

Also, Super Bowl Sunday ranks as the second highest day of food consumption in the United States, second only to Thanksgiving. Americans are expected to consume 14,500 tons of potato chips, 4,000 tons of popcorn and spend an astounding $50 million on food just for that day, according to the Salt Lake City Tribune.

At AU, this year's game pits students against one another, as the school draws heavily from both Philadelphia and New England.

"I refuse to watch the game with any Pats fans," said Leslie Baldino, a sophomore in SOC and die-hard Eagles fan. "I was actually thinking about going home and watching the game there because there are so many hard-core Pats fans here and not enough die-hard Eagles fans."

In the end, it seems that what students ultimately love is the thrill of competition and the ability to enjoy it with someone else.

"You need someone to hold your hand when you're down by two touchdowns," Vidulich said. "And you need a hand to clap when you score the winning touchdown"