SIS forum looks at relief for Sri Lanka

Two native Sri Lankans shared the effects of the recent tsunami that hit their home country and discussed relief efforts at an AU forum Wednesday.

"Tsunami Relief: Now and In the Long Term" was part of the School of International Service's International Issues Forum. The forum featured SIS associate professor Vidyamali Samarsinghe and Esther Benjamin, an AU alumna and vice president of the International Youth Foundation. Both are natives of Sri Lanka, one of the countries most affected by the tsunami that hit Southeast Asia on Dec. 26.

Benjamin had just returned from a trip to Sri Lanka concerning relief efforts for both personal and professional reasons.

"There were areas where there was no evidence that people had actually occupied the area," Benjamin said. "People described the tsunami as the water meeting the sky."

Benjamin explained that the relief efforts have changed from emergency mode to long-term efforts. She also said ethnic problems in Sri Lanka, which have been on-going for 20 years, cause problems when distributing aid to affected areas.

The fishing and tourist industry have come to a halt due to the tsunami disasters, Samersinghe said. More than 7,000 fishermen were found dead and 6,000 are still missing. Out of the 215 hotels in Sri Lanka, 48 were damaged; 10 of the hotels were completely destroyed. It is expected that the hotel industry will recover but there is a major concern about the families of fishermen. Only men are taught the skills of fishing and no one knows the outcome of wives of fishermen who did not work and have no incoming salary.

"Currently there are three critical issues of concern in Sri Lanka: housing, livelihood, and education," Benjamin said.

There is also a concern for children to remain in school while the country is being rebuilt.

"Many organizations are looking into ways they can help in rebuilding schools, distance learning options, and educational programs for children who were no longer in school before the tsunami relief," Benjamin said.

Samarsinghe also talked about the challenges occurring in Sri Lanka with aid for victims of the tsunami. Before the tsunami the country's airport cleared only 10 international flights a day. After the tsunami, hundreds of planes have landed with aid, ironically overwhelming the airport.

"Sending money instead supplies will help prevent this problem and will also help the economy," Samarsinghe said.

To help with relief efforts SIS will be selling turquoise, "Ideas, Action and Service" bracelets in the Davenport Lounge.

By JANEL KNIGHT

Eagle Contributing Writer