PATRIOTs vs. EAGLES

THE STAFF'S PICKS FOR SUPER BOWL XXXIX

Ian Quillen Eagles: 23 Patriots: 21

On paper, New England is the only choice. But that doesn't make it the right one. Terrell Owens will play, catch a touchdown and then re-injure his knee, jeopardizing his career and leading to a Pats comeback. Adam Vinatieri, whose previous two title-winning kicks came with the game tied, will miss from 48 yards and time expiring.

JESSE EPSTEIN Patriots: 27 Eagles: 17

This game will be a lot like last year's Super Bowl. The Pats will make the Eagles think they have a real shot, but in the end, their experience and coach will make the difference for New England's finest. Expect a high-scoring first half with T.O. getting a TD, but in the second half, the defenses will step up. No Adam Vinatieri game-winner this time, but his 42-yarder with three minutes to go will ice it.

David Bergman Patriots: 24 Eagles: 21

People seem to have forgotten how much better the AFC was this year. New England had to battle through teams with records of 15-1 and 13-3 to get to this game, while the Eagles rolled over pitiful Minnesota and string-cheese Atlanta. While a good game, this one comes down to Adam Viniatieri yet again.

Eric fantegrossi Patriots: 24 Eagles: 17

Super Bowl XXXIX has been surrounded by controversy over the situations of T.O., Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis. An ignored question this year has been whether or not the real dynasty in the NFL would have been the Eagles had they won their previous three NFC Championships. This game is the defining moment for the two best teams in the NFL this decade. The pressure is seemingly on the Eagles and Freddie Mitchell's mouth, as New England is gunning for another Patriot missile launch. In the end, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady have proven in the playoffs that Sundays are the only hype or history that really matter. Adam montgomery Patriots: 24 Eagles: 14

If Terrell Owens plays, the Patriots will not be able to cover the spread, but the Eagles will still fall regardless. Tom Brady will earn his third ring and be placed among the legends of Montana and Bradshaw. But instead of joining a pre-game show in 10 years, he will run for president.

Elliot Smilowitz Patriots: 31 Eagles: 17

Get over it, ladies and gentlemen. As much as you may want to believe that the Patriots are beatable, it's just not the case. The last two New England Super Bowl wins came on last-second field goals. This time no such theatrics will be necessary.