Campus Briefs: Religious students volunteer with children

Twelve students helped children in a D.C. housing project by taking part in a regular volunteer opportunity called "Daybreak" on Saturday.

Students took AUTO vans to Lincoln Heights, a community in Southeast D.C., before 10 a.m. to meet with the director of the program, according to Candace Krieger, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs who coordinates Daybreak.

"We went over lesson plans and discussed what we would do with the kids that day," Krieger said. "I really enjoyed working with the kids. It's great seeing how much the program means to them, especially since some don't live in a loving environment. ... It's amazing to establish such great relationships so quickly."

The Gathering, a college-aged church service based in McLean Bible Church in Tyson's Corner, Va., sponsors Daybreak. Its vision is to change the "secular" city by helping Washingtonians discover the message of Jesus Christ, according to The Gathering Web site.

The purpose of Daybreak is similar to The Gathering. Students are encouraged to impact their community by helping those in need.

"I enjoy Daybreak for two reasons: It really excites me to see people acting as servants on campus and going to serve another community," said Gathering leader James Misner, an SPA sophomore.

McLean Bible Church was given a home in Lincoln Heights in order to allow children to participate in activities there, Misner said.

Children usually participate in Daybreak from noon until 3 p.m. Activities include songs, worship and other various Bible school-related activities, Krieger said.

Students interested in volunteering with Daybreak should contact Misner at james.misner@american.edu or Krieger at candace.krieger@american.edu. The Gathering services are held Sundays at 11 a.m. in Ward 1. For details, see www.gatheringonline.org.