Bud debuts combo drink

The combination of Red Bull and vodka, a mixed drink that has gained popularity in recent years, has inspired beer company Anheuser-Busch to offer its own version of the beverage.

"B to the E" beer, or B with a subscript E, which combines caffeine and alcohol, was released by Anheuser-Busch last month.

"Contemporary adults thirst for variety and what's new, and our B-to-the-E delivers a beverage that is true to their lifestyles and range of drinking occasions," said Pat McGauley, senior director of New Products and High End Brands, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. in a press release.

One can of B-E has about half the amount of caffeine normally found in a cup of coffee.

The drink also contains the herb ginseng and blackberry, raspberry and cherry flavorings. Some consumer advocate groups warn that Anheuser-Busch's attempt to make alcohol more enjoyable is dangerous because the potency of caffeine and alcohol add to the risk of dehydration.

The caffeine will allow drinkers to stay awake longer and potentially drink more. When the two combine, many people fear it may become harder to tell how intoxicated someone is. The user's blood alcohol concentration could be on the rise without the person realizing it.

A study previously reported by The Eagle found the drink had few ill effects.

"Combining a depressant with a stimulant is probably bad for the body in combination," said Peter DeMaio, a junior in the School of Communication.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) said the organization does not take issue with individual alcoholic beverages but stressed that any alcohol should be consumed responsibly and by those older than 21, said MADD representative Misty Moyse.

The new drink is aimed at the beer market as its pricing is only slightly higher than Budweiser. It is, however, a smaller product at 10 ounces with a slightly higher alcohol content of 6.6 percent. The drink also packs 280 calories.

B-E is mostly being marketed in clubs and bars with little advertising.