Sports Brief: Wrestling advances three to national rankings in weekend

This weekend at Lock Haven University's Mat-Town Invitational, the AU Wrestling team took fifth place among the nation's top teams.

Junior Muzaffar Abdurakhmanov took first place at 157 pounds this weekend, upsetting three-time All-American and last year's national tournament runner-up, Jake Percival of Ohio University, by medical default. Percival has a history against AU, notably beating AU's career wins record-holder alumnus Marc Hoffer ('02) in 2001.

Abdurakhmanov now holds the No. 2 ranking in the nation, the highest ever for an AU wrestler. At Mat-Town, Abdurakhmanov also defeated No. 12 Nathan Galloway of Penn State by decision.

Due to his performances over the past two weeks, "Moose" was also named Eastern Intercollegiate Western Association wrestler of the week.

Sophomore Josh Glenn made his debut in the national rankings at No. 24 after taking forth place at the 184-pound weight class at Mat-Town. Glenn advanced to the semifinals, only to lose two straight close matches to highly ranked Minnesota and Indiana wrestlers.

Graduate student Dan Waters also moved up in this week's national ranking at 174 pounds to No. 20. Waters finished second at Mat-Town after falling to No. 17 Brad Richardson of Indiana, 5-3, in the finals. Waters had a good day after knocking two previously high-ranking wrestlers - Gabe Dretch of Minnesota, 3-2, and Zacharia Doll of Pittsburg, 7-4.

Junior Tom Kniezewski rounded out the Eagles' place finishers, taking fourth place at 149 pounds. Kniezewski lost his chance for the championship after falling to No. 17 Matt Kocher of Pitt, 4-0. Kniezewski swapped matches with Lock Haven's Josh Medina, beating him in the second round, 7-4, only to lose to Medina, 6-3, in the consolation finals.

Considering the field AU competed against, it finished very well. Even though it took fifth place, it finished above nationally ranked Rider. But AU still has not appeared on the national rankings as a team.