Plan provides student tuition refunds

About 250 AU students have signed up for the Tuition Refund Plan, which allows students who have to leave school unexpectedly for health reasons to get some of their tuition reimbursed, according to Student Health Center Director Daniel Bruey.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this fall that this sort of insurance is becoming more popular for students nationally.

Those who pay into the plan, which is administered through A.W.G. Dewar Inc., allows students and parents to get up to 100 percent of tuition and fees returned if it is necessary. Dewar offers tuition refund insurance to more than 1,000 colleges in the United States.

AU's plan states that students who are injured or get a debilitating illness and cannot complete the school term will get the cost of tuition and housing refunded, except for the first two weeks of the semester. During the first two weeks, the University is expected to honor the refund.

"Every student or parent for whom the loss of the term's fee would represent a significant financial hardship should take advantage of the Tuition Refund Plan," Bruey said.

Coverage includes students who withdraw because of accidents and psychological illness. A licensed doctor has to confirm all medical claims.

Students who withdraw as a result of a psychological or emotional disorder will receive 60 percent of the insured term's tuition, as long as they are hospitalized for at least a week during the semester.

The plan's literature says that it does not cover injuries from participation in riots, illegal drug use, self-inflicted harm or illnesses from extreme cases such as terrorism and "radioactive contamination."

The cost of the plan varies whether a student is a full- or part-time undergraduate, graduate or Washington College of Law student, and if a student lives on or off campus.

For instance, an undergraduate living on campus pays $244 for the plan, while a WCL campus resident is charged a rate of $278. Students who enroll for a single semester will be charged half the standard rate.

Should a student pay the insurance cost for the fall and spring semester but withdraw during the fall and not return for the spring semester, the unused premium would be refunded, Bruey said.

Coverage extends not only to tuition payments made directly by the student or parent, but also payments made through financial aid, grants and scholarships, the plan states.

Students who use the plan will only receive compensation if they do not complete the semester, and they will not receive academic credit.

Nikki Reynolds, a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she would consider enrolling in the plan.

"I feel it's a good idea, but it depends on the price," Reynolds said.

Information about the plan is available at the Health Center or www.collegefund.com.