Sports Brief: Fomenko takes first in 100-yard IM and 100-yard backstroke at Spirit Invitational in w

The AU Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving teams traveled to Bucknell this weekend to participate in the Sprint Invitational.

In the men's 200-yard freestyle relay, the men's team, composed of Joe Coronato, Andy Brown, Stephen Brennan and Chris Leggett, finished in fifth place.

In the women's 500-yard freestyle, freshman Meghan Thiel finished in first place with a time of 4:57.76. Cameron Miller finished in eighth place.

In the men's 100-yard IM, junior Valery Fomenko finished in first place, edging teammate and second-place finisher Stephen Brennan by almost two seconds. Fomenko swam again in the men's 100-yard backstroke and finished with his second first-place finish in 51.73 seconds.

Thiel also placed well in the women's 200 freestyle with a second-place finish. Brennan took the men's 50-yard backstroke with a time of 24.95.

The event was not scored on a team basis. The teams next swim at home against Georgetown and vs. Mary Washington and FAMU on Saturday.