Long live the king that is AU sports

As I sit here writing this column, I am following the AU Men's hoops team live on the Internet in its pre-season NIT game at Virginia Commowealth University. Well, we just lost, but it certainly speaks to a movement that's going on at our school.

Never in my life did I think I'd be intently following a live game tracker of an AU sport. Before coming to AU, I didn't even know what our school mascot was. And I am an athlete.

But there is a movement going on at AU, and it has nothing to do with anti-war protests, vegans or candlelight vigils for a failed political season. It has everything to do with our athletic department.

If you try at all costs to avoid sports and, god forbid, school spirit at AU, last weekend must have been absolutely treacherous for you. And heads up: The future doesn't look too bright either.

If you opened up your copy of this fine student publication on Monday and delved back in the paper, where sports are generally placed at this school, you had to have been struck (whether or not you relegate sports here to the dumpster or hold them in some esteem). Three pages of sports coverage - all describing a remarkable accomplishment by one of four fall sports teams and individuals - must have jumped out to you.

Our Women's Field Hockey wrapped up its season in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament. After beating national powerhouse Iowa, the girls came up just short against third-ranked Maryland. The final season rankings will almost certainly place the team in the top 10 of the nation.

The Men's Soccer team came away with a gut-wrenching 1-0 overtime victory over Lehigh to win the Patriot League championship on its home turf. Next up is a first-round NCAA tournament game against Long Island at Reeves Field on Sunday.

Moving on, our Women's Volleyball team just completed its fourth straight undefeated PL regular season. The girls have made PL opponents look about as helpless as a driver getting his or her car jacked in "Grand Theft Auto." The girls host the PL tournament this weekend and are heavy favorites to represent the league in the NCAA Tournament.

Also, the Men's Cross Country team qualified for the NCAA national championship meet after finishing second at the Mid-Atlantic Regional. We compete Monday in Terre Haute, Ind. - not the most glamorous city on Earth, but it's school history nonetheless.

Yeah, whether you're paying attention or couldn't care less, the athletic program has barged onto the national scene this fall.

If you decided to go to AU because you didn't want to put up with the rah-rah attitude of big state schools, you're in for a shock. All of this recent success leads to more national recognition, better recruits, better sponsors, more money in the athletic budget and on and on.

Pretty soon the jocks on this campus will be getting attention from sources other than needy sorority girls or horny frat guys. Pretty soon those AU Eagles sweat shirts you all wear will represent more than the overpriced liberal arts education we are receiving. They will represent a national powerhouse in Division I sports.

If this athletic revolution scares you, I'm sorry to say there's very little you can do about it. Judging by the electric attitude down in the varsity locker room area last Sunday as the guys basketball team headed to practice, our cross country team headed out for another run, the Men's Soccer team prepared for its championship game, the Women's Volleyball team went in for treatment in the training room and the Field Hockey team left for its Elite Eight game, this is only the beginning. When the men's and women's hoops teams make the NCAA tourney this March, you might not even recognize this place.