Lehigh knocks AU out of PL tourney in Semis

Ladies down and out

The AU Women's Soccer team suffered a season-ending defeat Friday night in the Patriot League tournament semifinals, losing, 3-1, to Lehigh in Hamilton, N.Y.

The Eagles needed to win the PL tournament to secure a berth in the NCAA tournament. AU won the tournament two years ago against Navy, and lost to Navy in the final at home last season.

The Eagles, who only lost one of their first 10 matches, went winless in their last four to finish the season at 11-6-2, 4-3-1 in PL play.

"Traditionally, we've started off slow, and this year was obviously different," AU head coach Michael Brady said afterward. "We had a phenomenal September, but then we got a couple little confidence dents."

Perhaps Friday's match mirrored AU's season. AU dominated the first half in terms of possession and chances. The Eagles outshot the Mountain Lions, 6-1, in the opening period. But after 45 minutes, the Eagles had no goals to show for that superiority. They would pay for it in the second half.

"I don't know that we missed two or three open goals or superb chances, but we were definitely the better team in the first half," Brady said.

Substitute forward Daniela Molina put Lehigh ahead in the 51st minute on what Brady termed a defensive lapse. Molina broke free down the right, and eventually shot past AU sophomore 'keeper Allison Doyle off the left post and back into the right side netting.

The Eagles tied it 14 minutes later, when junior forward Marcela Ricupero streaked down the left wing, bringing out Lehigh goalkeeper Erin Iwaskiewicz. Ricupero, known for her vision, found sophomore strike partner Jana Lee on the right side of goal and slotted the ball to her for an easy finish.

But Lehigh scored twice more, with both goals coming through Gina Lewandowski, this season's PL offensive MVP. First, Lewandowski answered Lee's goal in the 69th minute after her teammates picked her out on an indirect free kick from inside the penalty area. Then, as AU pushed to again tie the game, Lewandowski scored an insurance goal on a counterattack in the 84th minute.

With that goal, the Eagles' PL title hopes vanished.

"I think 'disappointed' is the word," Brady said of his team's mood afterward. "Possibly it's a bit of a surprise in a way. I think the expectation was that we would do well this weekend, so maybe there's a bit of shock."

Despite that, Brady has all the reasons in the world to be optimistic next fall. The only seniors leaving will be defender Amy Muller and forward Maha Elnabawi. Muller started most matches, and Elnabawi played in every match, mostly as a substitute. The rest of his core, however, should be returning for at least one year, if not a couple more.

"Our two freshmen kids in the back, [Jessica Buquicchio and Annette Scott,] are phenomenal and are only going to get better," Brady said. "And with the way Marcela has matured this year, I think there are a lot of things to get excited about."

But for now, the Eagles will have to hibernate on the lessons they've learned until training resumes next spring.