XC wins third straight

MacAdie takes second in field of 322

Pat MacAdie placed second in a field of 322 runners at the Penn State National Invite Saturday, leading AU's cross-country team to its third straight title of the 2004 season.

The Eagles (49 points) outpaced 37 other teams. Pennsylvania was a distant second with a total of 83 points.

MacAdie, the 2003 Patriot League champion, covered the 5.2-mile course in 25:28, a mere second behind Penn State's Dan Mazzocca, the 2003 Mid-Atlantic Region champion. MacAdie, the PL runner of the week twice this season, averaged 4:54 per mile.

Head coach Matt Centrowtiz praised MacAdie's performance.

"Pat stepped up," said Centrowtiz. "His chances of winning the region and qualifying for the national meet are very strong."

Following him were Sean Duffy and Stephen Hallinan, placing fourth (25:34) and sixth (25:39) respectively. Finishing among the top 25 individuals were Brendan Fennell (16th, 26:06) and Pat Burford (21st, 26:15). Phil Gaeta (31st, 26:28) and Matt Barresi (48th, 26:39) rounded out the men's squad.

The men's performance over the weekend propels them to the national spotlight and makes them the clear favorite for the 2004 Patriot League title.

"Based on their performance this weekend, I expect them to easily defend their title" Centrowitz said. "This year we can have more All-Conference runners than ever before."

According to a poll compiled by the United States Cross-Country Coaches Association released on Oct. 18 , the Eagles are ranked third in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Georgetown (ranked seventh in the nation) and Villanova (ranked 18th) claim the top spots in the region.

The women fared well against nationally ranked competition, placing 15th among 41 teams. The meet featured Providence (ranked second in the nation), Duke (ranked fifth) and West Virginia (ranked 24th).

Keira Carlstrom,, the defending PL winner and 2003 All-American, sprinted to a ninth-place finish, covering the 6- kilometer course in 20:52. The Lady Eagles out-ran League rivals Bucknell (16th), Colgate (26th) and Lehigh (29th).

Carlstrom considers the race as the biggest challenge to the team so far. "It is the first race we get to knock our heads against big competition" Carlstrom said.

Citing the course as the site of the 2004 NCAA Mid-Atlantic Region meet, Carlstrom added that the team will be able to "conquer" the course in its next showing.

Individually, Carlstrom has been resting from competition since her easy win at the Navy Invite a month ago. Her performance at this weekend's meet was the final tuneup for the Patriot League meet on Oct. 30 in Lewisburg, Pa.

"I feel extremely prepared for PL. I have been healthy" said Carlstrom. "My workouts have been going great; my times [at workouts] are insanely faster than last year's."

On a team scale, she believes the women's 15th - place effort is not an indication of their potential. "We did good" added Carlstrom. "But we're capable of much better."

Centrowitz echoed that statement, adding that the inexperience on the women's team played a spoiling factor at the meet. "Most of our women are used to competing against a smaller field" said Centrowitz. "This meet had over 40 teams."

However, he said that this experience (Penn State invite) will prepare them for the Region meet.

Zaia Wharton was second for the Lady Eagles, placing 62nd (22:25) in a field of 346 runners. Kelley Taylor, who recently earned PL performer of the week honors for her win at the George Mason Invite, placed 79th (22:37). Taylor's performance was not as good as expected. Nevertheless, Centrowitz said he remains confident in his runner's ability to turn around and run well when it counts.

"Kelley always runs well. She had an off day" added Centrowtiz. "I expect her to be the high-placing Kelley that she usually is."

Following Taylor were Juliette Lynch (136th, 23:16), Whitney McNees (149th, 23:26) and Cathleen Ford (173rd, 23:46).

The Eagles continue their action on Oct. 30 at the Patriot League Championship meet, where they will defend the men and women's titles and begin the race for a national berth. The PL meet, hosted by Bucknell, is scheduled to start at 10 am.