Sports Brief: Men's and Women's Tennis travel to ITA East Regionals tournament and leave empty-hande

The AU Tennis teams took their show on the road to the Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Regional Tournaments this past weekend.

In Philadelphia, the women's team was represented by sophomores Julia Colarusso and Rachael Honig. Participating in their first ITA Regionals, Colarusso and Honig lost, 8-3, to Quinnipiac.

"We haven't played much together, so that was a bit of a challenge," said Honig. "But they're the No. 1 doubles team and they were a tough challenge. We played well but there was definite room for improvement."

Colarusso also participated in singles, losing to Penn State's Katelyn Brevard, 6-3, 6-1.

"It was a really good experience because we're both underclassmen, and we only had two representatives and we got valuable experience for the future," Honig said.

The Eagles played mainly against teams out of the Patriot League, so their competition was against top-ranked schools such as Harvard.

In the men's draw, senior Juan Jaysingh was the Eagles' representative in the singles draw. He played toughly against Campbell's Jiri Beranek, but lost, 7-5, 6-4, in straight sets.

Three other Eagles, Nicolas Frayssinoux, Juancarlo Vasquez and Sebastian Proisy, lost in the qualifying round.

Vazquez and Proisy won their opening matches. Proisy won, 6-0, 6-3, over North Carolina A&T's Jerome Kirkland before losing to Duke's Ned Samuelson. Vasquez also lost to a Blue Devil in the second round, succumbing to Stefan Rozycki, 7-6, 6-3.

Frayssinoux and Jaysingh also competed in the doubles event, losing, 8-4, to North Carolina State.

The ITA Regionals ended the fall season for both the men and women, who won't play again until January, when the women travel to Penn State and the men play in the Virginia Commonwealth University Tournament.