Eagles net another PL victory

Runeri continues domination and scores game-winning goal vs. Navy

After falling from the clouds last weekend with its first loss in nine games, the AU Women's Soccer team wasted little time in returning to flight.

The Eagles (8-2-1, 2-1-0 PL) resumed their winning ways Tuesday in vital fashion, snatching a 1-0 win over preseason Patriot League favorites Navy (6-5-1, 0-3-0) on a clinical free-kick goal from sophomore midfielder Meg Runeari.

The Eagles lost last year's PL championship to Navy, 4-1, and consequently their shot at a second - straight NCAA tournament appearance.

Now the teams appear headed in opposite directions. With only one loss in the conference this year, the Eagles are still in the hunt for the regular-season title. The Midshipmen, without a win in the league, must start worrying for their PL tournament lives.

A Friday clash at Lafayette and a Tuesday tilt at Princeton await the Eagles, who are trying to make Saturday's loss an aberration rather than the end of a hot streak.

"It was a huge win for our team," AU head coach Michael Brady said. "To play that kind of quality soccer with focus, with concentration and with confidence, it was just an awesome effort."

Despite having the lion's share of opportunities in the second half, after an even first half, the Eagles had to wait until the 83rd minute for Runeari's 25-yard match-winning direct kick.

Runeari scored by striking a curling right-footed shot past Navy's human wall and Navy 'keeper Kim Bonafede, and into the lower corner.

"Whenever you have a free kick and can put it away, it's awesome," Runeari said. "All you can ask for is to be given the opportunity."

For Runeari, the goal almost mirrored another free-kick strike back on Sept. 21 against Georgetown. That goal opened up the scoring in what ended up a 3-1 AU win, and perhaps surprised not only the Hoyas, but the midfielder's AU teammates as well.

Now, more Eagles are coming to expect it.

"I have total confidence in her," said freshman defender Annette Scott, who stood with Runeari over the ball before the kick and is also a long-range threat. "If she wants the ball I'll let her have it any day."

The free kick resulted from a controversial play where Bonafede ranged beyond the 18-yard box and handled a long ball that was falling to an AU player alone on goal.

AU coaches and some players pleaded for the referee to eject Bonafede, because she was the last line of defense between the ball and the goal. But to their chagrin, Bonafede only received a yellow card. It turned out to be inconsequential.

On the left wing, freshman midfielder Irene Karistinos proved to be a handful for Navy's defense in the second half, breaking free several times and whipping dangerous crosses into the goal area.

And in the middle, junior forward Marcella Ricupero often reached the other end of Karistinos' crosses or Scott's and Runeari's long balls. But Ricupero and the other Eagle forwards couldn't quite find the finishing touch.

"I thought we haven't really been playing soccer recently - we've just been kicking and running," Runeari said of the teams last few games. "In the second half we played the ball to feet and made thoughtful passes. If we play like that, there's no team in this league that can compete with us."

But when it appeared inevitable that AU would score, Navy nearly took the lead. Only a sprawling reflex save from sophomore goalkeeper Allison Doyle kept a breakaway effort from Midshipmen forward Brigitte Fox out of the net, saving the Eagles in the 76th minute.

Aside from that chance, Navy never looked dangerous in the second half, due in part to Scott's play organizing a tight flat-back four defense. Scott seemed to be everywhere, making timely challenges, sending pinpoint balls to midfield teammates and even winning aerial challenges despite her 5-foot-2-inch size.

"She's been an absolute rock for us from Day One," Brady said. He complimented her "decision making, her timing, and her grit. And on top of that, her technique and skill are very sound. You put all those attributes together, and you've got something very special"