AU sweep again for 5th straight

Led by junior Cutrina Biddulph's career-high 19 kills, the AU Volleyball team continued to roll on Tuesday night with a 3-0 victory over Howard University.

Dating back to Sept. 18, the Eagles have swept their last five matches. Coach Barry Goldberg is pleased to see his team coming together for the bulk of the upcoming Patriot League regular season.

"This is certainly what you hope for as you get further into conference play," said Goldberg. "It's good timing."

For a struggling Howard team, it was the exact opposite of good timing to run into the Eagles. For the game, the Eagles hit a combined .379 with 15 aces while holding Howard to only 25 kills and a .039 hitting percentage.

"We served very well and have really started to have our offense click," said Goldberg.

Biddulph led the charge with 19 kills and just two errors in 30 swings. The junior standout hit .579 for the match.

Sophomore Liz Maloney, the reigning PL volleyball athlete of the week for her efforts last week, joined forces with Biddulph on the attack and added nine kills.

With two road matches coming up this weekend against Colgate and Bucknell, Goldberg hopes his team continues to show its strength to the rest of the PL.

"Having three matches in a week is a test, but we're starting to play the game really well," he said.

The Eagles have consistently led the league in hitting percentage, but Goldberg said he is more impressed with his team's blocking percentage, which also stands at the top of the PL. This has helped the Eagles dictate matches.

"Our speed is picking up and we're controlling the pace," he said. "We're definitely heading in the right direction"