SOC hosts first political-comedy festival

The School of Communication's four-day Political Comedy Festival begins today at the AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, Md. and features panel discussions, comedic performances and screenings of six political comedy films.

The event is the first of its kind in the D.C. area and it is expected to draw more than 2,000 people according to SOC Special Projects Manager Bettina Owens, who organized the festival and arranged for the appearance of its high-profile speakers including "Primary Colors" author Joe Klein, "Silver City" director John Sayles and Academy Award-winning director of "Wag the Dog" Barry Levinson, an AU alumnus.

"We're a serious communications school ... so you have to question: why comedy? It's because we believe that comedy plays an enormously important role in our democracy," said SOC Dean Larry Kirkman, adding, "Political comedians are raising questions that journalists should be asking and provoking debates that should be central to political campaigns."

Some students agree.

"I went to the Democratic National Convention and saw [comedian] Jon Stewart and Jerry Springer. I thought it was important that they were there because through them, the younger generations will get involved in politics," said SOC sophomore Jamie Barys.

Thursday and Friday events begin at 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday events begin in the afternoon. Kirkman expects students who attend the weekend events to come to Silver Spring for the day, pointing out that the theater is surrounded by delicious restaurants and that AU offers free bus transportation from in front of Hughes Hall to and from the AFI Silver Theatre this weekend. Tickets to the events are $7.50 for students.

Today AU professor and director of the Center for Social Media Pat Aufderheide will host a Q & A session with director John Sayles and producer Maggie Renzie after the Washington, D.C. premier of their movie "Silver City" at 7 p.m. Aufderheide said she is excited to have the opportunity to meet "a world-class duo in independent filmmaking."

"I really hope AU students realize how hard it is to capture these people," she said, explaining that the festival gives students a rare opportunity to see political comedy from different perspectives. "You not only see the work, but you get to see behind the work. It demystifies it. It allows students to think, 'one day I could be the one to do that."

Friday at 7 p.m. adjunct professor and National Public Radio film critic Pat Dowell will host another Q & A session with author Joe Klein of "Primary Colors" after a screening of the movie that was based on his book.

Saturday begins with a 1 p.m. screening of "The Great McGinty," followed by "Election" introduced by Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz. Immediately following, the Discovery Times channel will film an episode of its popular show "Political Dish" hosted by New York Times reporter Todd Purdham. At 8 p.m. D.C.-area comedians Dave George, Danny Roahier, Lori Trawinski, Bey Wesley and Connor Williams will team up with executive director of The First Amendment Center Gene Policinski and Good Morning America's Tony Perkins, an AU alumnus, for a tribute to legendary comedian Dick Gregory.

Sunday at 3 p.m. a screening of "Bob Roberts" will precede an American Forum panel discussion "Presidential Schtick and Political Speechwriters" featuring speechwriters from both major political parties. After a 7 p.m. screening of "Wag the Dog" Washington Post film critic and AU alumnus Desson Thomson will host a Q & A session with director Barry Levinson.

"It is six great political comedies. But more than that, it's a festival that gives us an opportunity to think and reflect on this body of work [and] an opportunity to think about the role of comedy in politics and how comedy shapes perceptions and can influence the political process," said Kirkman.

AU students who plan to attend the event look forward to investigating the purpose of political comedy.

"Bringing comedy into politics makes it easier to digest," said Annie Person, a senior in SIS and SOC.

Some students are approaching the festival with regards to the upcoming presidential election.

"I'm looking forward to it especially with the tense election this year. It's important that we be able to make fun of each other ... and to lighten up the very negative atmosphere that has existed politically," said Dan Juva, a freshman in SIS.

The event was inspired by AU alumni who work in film, television and comedy including Stew Smiley, executive producer of "Everybody Loves Raymond," Robert "Morty" Morton, executive producer of "The Late Show with David Letterman" for 14 years, and Barry Josephson, executive producer of "The Ladykillers" and "Big Trouble."

Kirkman says SOC's ability to organize this event reflects the success of the school.

"[The festival] demonstrates the intellectual energy and creativity of SOC as a meeting ground for the different professions that we bring under one roof..." he said, adding, "It also is a meeting ground between alumni and students, and it shows how successful we've been at creating a community of learners. Now we can take that energy and bring it on to a public stage. It says a lot about the school as a place that's asking a lot of the big original questions about our media environment"