Friends, families pay respects to Pentagon's 9/11 victims

On Sept. 11 this year, the only sound over Arlington Cemetery was the air traffic flying overhead during a somber moment of silence at 9:37 a.m. for the American Airlines flight 77 victims and Pentagon victims. In attendance for a wreath-laying ceremony at the Pentagon 9/11 memorial were some Pentagon officials including Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz, D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams, and Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace.

Before the ceremony began, people studied the names of the 184 victims that adorn the memorial. Some laid pictures or buttons on the memorial bearing faces of victims; others touched their loved ones' names as a Navy band in dress whites performed. An elderly woman, dressed in an American flag blouse, stood silently over a headstone for several minutes. In front of the memorial stone was a large green and yellow wreath, awaiting placement by Rumsfeld and Pace.

As the family members of victims took their seats, the Navy band ceased its performance and the Honor Guard tended to last-minute preparations. Army Chaplain Ken Kerr welcomed those in attendance. Chief Musician Georgina Todd sang the national anthem, which echoed over the hallowed grounds, as the military members saluted.

After the moment of silence, Pace spoke to the crowd.

"Those of us who serve in the Pentagon today walk a little taller," he said. "As long as we have a breath to breathe, we will defend this nation."

Rumsfeld also offered some words.

"Our nation offers our heartfelt condolences," he said. He also used the opportunity to continue the nation's support for the war on terror. "Our grief has found its purpose; 9/11 was its call to arms," he said.

After the speeches, Rumsfeld and Pace laid the wreath on the memorial as people silently looked on.

The ceremony ended with a benediction and the collective singing of the Christian hymn "Amazing Grace." After the ceremony, people mingled and observed the memorial. They traded stories, made each other's acquaintance and tended to their kids as the children touched their parent's names on the memorial. Wolfowitz spoke with family members, veterans of past wars and others, as did Rumsfeld.

Five AU alumni died in the 9/11 attacks, Ernest M. Willcher, class of '68; John P. O'Neill, class of '74;, Linda K. Gronlund, class of '83; and Peter C. Alderman, class of '99.

Willcher, 62, a 20-year Army veteran, was working as a civilian contractor in the Pentagon on 9/11 when Flight 77 struck the building. He grew up in North Potomac, Md., and received a law degree from AU, according to Newsday.com

Schurmeier, 44, died in the World Trade Center while he was working for the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Group. A former Wheaton, Md. resident, he received a master's degree in business from AU.

Gronlund led an eclectic life with various hobbies and received a degree from AU. She worked for BMW as the manager for environmental compliance and was leading the charge for creating a hydrogen-powered car. On United Airlines Flight 93, she was traveling to San Francisco to celebrate her 47th birthday with her boyfriend, according to the Chicago Tribune.

O'Neill, 49, was a 31-year veteran of the FBI and chief of security for the World Trade Center prior to 9/11. Before this, he received a Bachelor of Science degree from AU. He was a tireless fighter of terrorism, investigating Osama Bin Laden and his connections to previous terrorist attacks, according to the New York Times. One of his major accomplishments was capturing the mastermind of the 1993 WTC bombing.

Alderman, 25, was on his way to a professional conference when he died in the World Trade Center. When his parents knew he was missing, they were unable to get a flight to New York City. Mayor Michael Bloomberg, for whom Alderman worked at Bloomberg L.P., before Bloomberg became mayor, sent his personal jet to pick them up and fly them to New York City, according to the New York Times.