Thursday, May 2, 2024

Eagles smack around No. 11 Richmond

If the field hockey world hasn't already noticed of the AU Eagles, it will after this weekend.

AU, already at its highest-ever national ranking of No. 13, will probably ascend even higher, after dismissing Yale 3-1 Friday, and No. 11 Richmond 2-0 Saturday in College Park, Md.

Saturday's win was especially satisfying, not only because Richmond (5-1-0) was the highest-ranked team AU (6-2-0) has beaten this year, but also because of the two teams' recent past against each other.

The Spiders seem to always trouble the Eagles. AU is historically the away team when the two sides compete, and in recent history was usually the losing team, including a 2-1 overtime loss last year.

But goals from junior midfielder Shannon Goans and sophomore forward Camila Infante on Saturday prevented history from repeating itself.

Goans' goal, ultimately the game winner, came with just less than four minutes remaining in the opening half and was a deserved result of persistent AU pressure.

Most of that pressure originated from the left side of AU's attack, and the play that led to the goal was no different.

Sophomore forward Heidi Hershberger assisted the goal, knocking a hard pass from the left side of the field across the goalmouth and past Richmond goalie Michelle Swartz. Goans reached the post and easily slapped the ball into the right side of a stranded goal.

"It was just an incredible feeling," Goans said of scoring the goal, "especially with the history we have with that team."

Fairly certain that one goal wasn't enough, the Eagles pushed for a second.

Just before halftime, referees disallowed an apparent goal by freshman midfielder Maggie Hall, because her shot from a penalty corner soared more than 18 inches high.

The second half began with more AU pressure. Six minutes in, the Eagles broke through again, this time converting a penalty corner opportunity.

With the Eagles holding a one-player advantage after Richmond's Erin Arthur recieved a yellw card, Infante took the corner from the left side of the goal.

The Eagles then worked the ball to junior midfielder Maureen Daniel, who in turn found Infante still unmarked and in close to the same position. Infante had only Swartz to beat, and made no mistake.

"It was all about going by the game plan," Daniel said of the set play. "We knew their corner defense; all it came down to was execution."

In the closing stages of the game, Richmond finally generated some possession and scoring chances. But the Eagles kept bodies behind the ball, and the Spiders seldom had any easy looks. Richmond's best chances were probably two penalty corners with just under 10 minutes remaining.

"This is definitely a 'we're here'-type statement," said AU head coach Steve Jennings. "It makes people look at you in a different light."

Saturday's win came on the heels of a 3-1 victory over Yale (1-3-0) Friday, in which the Eagles put the game out of reach by halftime.

Senior midfielder Javiera Viagra scored first, off assists from Goans and Daniel, 14 minutes into the match.

Daniel then scored herself, with Infante and junior midfielder Heather Marazano assisting from a penalty corner. Goans capped off the scoring, still in the first half, finishing off a pass from sophomore midfielder Tiffany Carter.

The Bulldogs pulled one back with 14 minutes left in the game, when Katie Rivkin redirected a shot from Meredith Hudson But AU prevented any further comeback.

Playing perhaps better than any AU team in history, the Eagles are set to begin their Patriot League title defense next weekend with a game against Bucknell 11 a.m Saturday at College Park.