Eagles get served by Arizona and Albany

The AU volleyball team was rudely awakened in the first two games of the American Volleyball Classic this weekend in Bender Arena before regrouping to pull out a victory Saturday night.

Heading into their annual home tournament, coach Barry Goldberg and his previously 3-2 Eagles hoped to make a stand against No. 15 Arizona Wildcats and build on that for the remaining two games of round robin play against the University of Albany and Temple University.

But the Eagles were bounced 3-0 Friday night against the Wildcats and were wiped out 3-0 against Albany Saturday.

After digesting the tournament, Goldberg said, his team was overly anxious against Arizona and made too many self-inflicted errors against Albany.

"Our team was a little off balance," he said. "Right now we're just trying to get in some kind of groove."

The Eagles have been switching around the lineups and trying different defensive strategies, Goldberg said.

"Regardless of what defense you play, it still comes down to executing skills and playing together," he said.

Against Arizona AU failed to control the ball and attack the net.

"We were apprehensive," Goldberg said. "Our serving was off, and when you're missing on one end it usually hurts another."

In Game 1, the Eagles were tied with Arizona at 22 before an 8-0 Wildcat run squelched the positive start. The Eagles fell behind 7-1 in Game 2. Arizona's attack was too much in the 30-24 Game 2 loss. A 6-0 run in Game 3 all but sealed AU's fate in the match.

"We were a little too hyped up against Arizona, and it ended up being our worst match of the season," Goldberg said.

Junior Cuttrina Biddulph led the Eagles with 10 kills. Senior Courtney Milfurd dished out 23 assists.

Saturday afternoon brought more of the same woes against Albany. The Great Danes dominated the Eagles, winning the first match 30-17 before cruising home for a three-game sweep.

"We were shaken against Albany, and before we knew it we were down 0-2," Goldberg said.

The Eagles hit .115 for the match. Biddulph again led the team with nine kills.

The Eagles rallied for a victory over Temple, a team that has eluded them for three seasons.

"I felt like we got it back together," Goldberg said.

Senior libero Sabrina Vasconcelos had 15 digs, and Biddulph powered home 14 kills in the winning effort. Freshman Chelsa Brooks tallied six kills with a .400 hitting percentage.

The win against Temple served as an important confidence booster as the Eagles head into Patriot League play against 9-1 Navy on Thursday night in Annapolis, Md.

"This is the best Navy team in five or six years. It will be a dogfight," Goldberg said.

AU returns home Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. to face Holy Cross.