Eagles eyeing another CC title in their tracks

During the 2003 season, the Eagles soared above the competition, sweeping the Patriot League championship meet in both men's and women's cross country.

Fortunately, most of the athletes instrumental to the team's success in 2003 are back, aiding the Eagles' hopes of a 2004 sweep and possibly a berth to the NCAA Championships.

Paving the way on the women's side is junior sensation Keira Carlstrom. During the 2003 season, Carlstrom blossomed into one of the nation's finest runners, claiming the Patriot League title and earning All-American status by placing 16th at the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind.

Carlstrom is followed by a formidable pack of runners. Sophomore Kelley Taylor had an outstanding inaugural season, finishing runner-up in the Patriot League and 22nd at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional meet (the best performance by a freshman). Senior Whitney McNees, a sub-19-minute 5K runner, placed among the top 10 at the PL.

Consistency has been the key for junior Zaia Wharton for the past two seasons, helping her finish among the top 20 at the 2003 PL tournament. Carlstrom, Taylor, McNees and Wharton will be the foundation of the team's success. The speed of the incoming class will boost the women's chances of improving on their seventh-place finish at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Region.

Juliette Lynch, a sub-2:20 half-miler, has the potential make making an impact on the program once she adjusts to the longer distances. Cathleen Ford and Kate Lilley feature an extensive lists of accomplishments at the high school level, which will facilitate their transition to Division I intercollegiate athletics.

The Lady Eagles launched the 2004 season with an impressive second-place finish at Mount St. Mary's on Saturday. As expected, Carlstrom demolished the field, covering the 5K course in a personal-best time of 17:37.35. Rounding out the top five for AU were Taylor (third, 18:29), Wharton (14th, 19:24), McNees (20th, 19:33) and Lynch (21st, 19:41). Freshmen Ford and Lilley recorded impressive performances by placing 36th and 38th respectively.

On the men's side, AU boasts senior Pat MacAdie, the top performer of the Patriot League in 2003.

MacAdie's dominance in the PL didn't transpire overnight. His evolution into a top-notch runner, with personal bests of 24:55.31 and 30:56 for an 8K and 10K, respectively, can be traced to a steady improvement throughout the span of his AU career. As a freshman, he placed 24th at the PL and 9th as a sophomore, and as a junior he claimed the individual title. As a junior, he finished 12th at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Region, qualifying him as a serious contender for a spot at this year's national meet.

In addition to MacAdie, the Eagles showcase a group of talented and hard-working runners; most were members of the fourth-place team finish at the 2003 Mid-Atlantic. Senior Sean Duffy and junior Phil Gaeta placed among the top 10 at the PL. Junior Pat Burford earned second team honors for his 15th place effort at PL.

It is expected that sophomore Brendan Fennell, a Footlocker finalist in high school, junior William Knox and sophomore Conor Lanz will play an important role in AU's quest for a trip to the NCAA Championships.

Head coach Matt Centrowitz, two-time Olympian and currently overseeing the program for a 10th year, praised the group's dedication during the summer months and considers the team a likely contender for a top-two finish at the Mid-Atlantic and a spot among the top 20 men's programs in the nation, a feat unprecedented in AU history. The men open their season on Saturday, at the Georgetown Invitational.

The men's and women's accomplishments in the athletic arena deserve praise, as do their academic accolades. Earning an overall 3.4 grade point average, the cross-country and track programs swept all six academic honors awards. In addition to the athletes' ability to prioritize, academic success can be attributed to Centrowitz's emphasis on not allowing athletics to interfere with academics.

Although the line between academics and athletics is difficult to define, Centrowitz aims to establish a program that is "flexible, firm and structured enough," allowing athletes to realize their true "academic, social and athletic potential."

Under the guidance of Coach Centrowitz, the experience of veterans Carlstrom and MacAdie, and the speed of the incoming class, AU will undoubtedly remain the distance powerhouse of the Patriot League and a serious contender for the national spotlight.