AU Men's Soccer blanks Big Red

Most teams would be drained after logging as many miles as the AU men's soccer team has this year, but not the Eagles who fought hard and earned a 3-0 win over Cornell.

The win moves the team to 4-3 on the year and puts them on a two-game winning streak.

Although the win came on the strength of two goals by the Big Red, the Eagles were very happy with the victory.

"We battled and competed all day," said AU head coach Todd West. "Our back four played very well and Shawn Kuykendall was very solid for us. This was a blue collar win for us."

The Eagles found the back of the net 25 minutes into the game. Cornell's Dan Marks deflected the ball into his own net and within three minutes AU had another goal when sophomore Garth Juckem took a free kick and put it past the Cornell goalkeeper.

The 2-0 lead would prove to be enough for the Eagles but in the 81st minute they got more help from the Cornell team. The Eagles moved the ball deep into Cornell territory and an errant attempt to clear the ball off the line left the Big Red down 3-0. The victory gave AU 'keeper Thomas Myers his second shutout of the season. AU was out-shot on the day 10-9.

AU is off until Friday when they play Old Dominion in the first round of the William & Mary Tribe Classic.