Former WAMU director sues AU, Ladner

Susan Clampitt, the former executive director of AU-owned WAMU-FM 88.5, who was fired Oct. 30, filed a $12 million lawsuit against AU and President Benjamin Ladner on June 30 for wrongful termination, the Washington Times reported July 12.

One-quarter of the $12 million is for "severe physical, emotional and psychological distress," according to the Times.

In the June 30 complaint filed with the D.C. Superior Court, Clampitt's attorneys stated that Ladner approved her "financial and budgetary recommendations," and failed to "claim responsibility for the policies and practices that caused staff discontent," the Times reported.

The complaint also states that WAMU host and 30-year employee Diane Rehm told "several individuals" in July 2003 that she wanted to force Clampitt from her post.

A spokesperson for Rehm would not comment on the impending lawsuit, saying it is university policy not to comment on matters of litigation.

Mark Plotkin, a political analyst for WTOP who had the same role at WAMU for 10 years before recently leaving, declined to comment directly on the lawsuit.

"[Clampitt] is a well meaning person who made terrible personnel decisions," said Plotkin, who worked under Clampitt for two years. "She hired two people who didn't know the city and had an appalling lack of interest into the news of this city - she was not equipped to do the job," he said.

WAMU, National Public Radio's D.C. affiliate, had operating deficits in each of its last three fiscal years, depleted a cash reserve of $4.39 million and reduced staff morale to an all-time low under Clampitt, The Washington Post reported Oct. 20.

AU alumna Ashley Philips, a former intern and associate producer at WAMU, and WAMU News Director Kevin Beesley previously told The Eagle about the low staff morale. (See "WAMU faces budget crunch" below.)

However, WAMU Program Director Mark McDonald told The Washington Post in October that there had been improvements under Clampitt.

"I can say that the newsroom staff now works harder, have more demanding and interesting assignments, do breaking news and can be heard on our air more than once a week," McDonald said.

However, McDonald later told The Eagle that he has the "highest admiration for [the news team's] work, both past and present."

Also, in a letter posted in the fall on WAMU's Web site, Clampitt said the Post article was "biased and one-sided."

"Like many public radio stations, WAMU's financial position has experienced both red ink and black over its 42 years of existence," Clampitt said in the statement.

David Taylor, Ladner's chief of staff, said it was prudent that he not speculate or comment on the lawsuit and will leave it in the hands of the University Council.

Taylor became the general manager of WAMU after Clampitt's dismissal. At first it was considered a temporary position and Taylor said a permanent replacement would be found "in the next few weeks," The Eagle reported Nov. 3. However, Taylor is now permanently the head of WAMU, according to the administrative re-organization that Ladner announced in a memo to the AU community May 13. WAMU had previously reported to Vice President of Enrollment Services Tom Myers, who resigned for an unreported reason in September.

The "A new AU" fundraising campaign, which AU kicked off Oct. 16, aims to raise $20 million for WAMU, The Eagle previously reported.

Clampitt could not be reached for an interview.