University honors 16 students with awards

Sixteen seniors will be recognized at the University Honors Convocation for their accomplishments during their four years as AU students in Bender Arena on Saturday, May 8. The Student Achievement awards range from academic achievement to racial understanding to service to the University community.

Following the ceremony, guests will be invited to the newly erected Wall of Achievement on the first floor of the Mary Graydon Center. The awards are divided into Student Achievement Awards and University Student Awards for Scholarship and Service.

According to Bernie Schulz, special assistant to the vice president for Campus Life, the students are chosen through an application process that includes recommendations and academic considerations.

"There is a selection comprised of faculty and staff from all corners of the campus," Schulz said. "Every college and school is represented." Schulz said this year was particularly difficult to pick winners because of the high quality of applicants.

"This is the fourth time I've gone through this process, and we've just had an enormously talented group of students to choose from," Schulz said. "From [nongovernmental organizations] they've founded to research to theater and the arts. It's been extraordinary to see this level of activities. It is a testament to the caliber of students we attract."

A series of 12 plaques recently went up near the Tavern that lists the names of the award-winners.

"Personally, I felt strongly that it was important for AU to recognize the extraordinary contributions that have been made over 75-plus years," Schulz said.

Schulz said he was pleased that the students would have a permanent reminder about their accomplishments at the University.

"I can't tell you how excited I am about the opportunity to recognize these 16 students, but also to permanently have their names in MGC, which is the hub of student life," Schulz said.

This year, there will be 193 students graduating from the honors program, who will all receive a medallion in addition to service and scholarship awards, according to Schulz.