Top 10 Things We'll Miss During the Impending NHL Lockout

Countdown

As the NHL postseason chugs along, possible labor struggles looms for stars of the fastest game on ice. With the owners fighting for a salary cap when the current labor deal expires in September, hockey fans worldwide are bracing for a lockout that may take out the entire season. In the event of a lockout, here are the Top 10 things that will be missed during the non-existent season.

10. Droppin' the gloves This past season on the ice has been one of the most brutal, as several players have had near season-ending injuries. Although the fighting can be brutal, it is part of the sport and always brings fans to their feet when two players duke it out.

9. Canada We don't pay much interest in our neighbor to the north, unless it's hockey season. Let's hope the lockout doesn't make us forget about them. If that happens, maybe it's time for the Canadian Football League to send some teams our way.

8. Bad Media Coverage While real hockey fans will miss the hockey for the great game it is, the average American might be saying good riddance. After all, when the average American can't say anything about the sport besides Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McSorley and the Mighty Ducks, what do they have to miss?

7. Dominik Hasek's Retirement It's going to be tough giving the Dominator the send-off he deserves when the media are occupied with the work stoppage. But maybe it won't be so bad, since we've already seen this show twice.

6. Europeans in America With an extended lockout, many stars from foreign lands may be returning to their homelands to bide their time. Stars such as Peter Forsberg, Jaromir Jagr and Marcus Naslund have all flirted with idea of a trip across the pond. An extended lockout may keep them from making a return trip.

5. Mario Lemieux If the extended break sends the oft-injured star into a final retirement, will we even notice? Pittsburghers will, just as the Penguins franchise heads to the chopping block.

4. Wins at the MCI Center Sure, the Washington Capitals did finish in the bottom of the league, but they still provided more thrilling wins during the season than the NBA's Wizards. Barring a lockout, the Wizards could never keep up the admittedly low pace of winning that the city expects.

3. A 30-team League The fans sure don't want to see the lockout result in their teams being contracted. But it might be a good thing for elitists in Boston and Canada when hockey localization makes field hockey look like the all-American sport.

2. Cinderella at the Ball The last couple seasons have allowed small-market teams to shine and make improbable runs. In 2003, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks outplayed their Hollywood counterpart, making it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. With possible runs by the long-shot Nashville Predators and New York Islanders this year, who knows what next season could mean, especially for teams that recently faced financial troubles, like the Buffalo Sabres.

1. Lord Stanley's Cup The most recognized sports trophy in the world, and the oldest in North America, the Stanley Cup draws a crowd even without a winning hockey team attached. Without a season-long quest to drink from its silver bowl, it may be stuck on the shelf in Toronto, which would truly be a shame.