Terzulli in transition

At first it was hard for Student Confederation President Nick Terzulli to get over the fact that he was the second most popular candidate. He came in second place behind Haley Stevens, who left to study at Oxford University after one week in office.

However, Terzulli has tried his best to get the job done with advice and support from as many people that could help him. Despite his work, he received criticism for being pompous and having a big ego, but he learned that an ego is essential in getting the job done.

Terzulli began his term as president of AU's student government in April 2003 but he was originally sworn in as vice president, after first being appointed to the General Assembly, the undergraduate student-body legislature, as a Class of 2005 representative.

Since becoming president, one of his most memorable speeches occurred early in his term. The speech was one of his first as SC president, and it was given during the opening convocation at the beginning of the 2003-2004 school year.

"It was amazing to be on the same stage as the faculty scholar of the year, President Ben Ladner, and Provost [Neil] Kerwin," Terzulli said. "It was great to address the entire new freshman class."

In elementary school and high school, Terzulli was always interested in politics. "I have always wanted to represent people in some way," he said. Terzulli's future career aspirations include working in law as an attorney or in politics.

"My high school had no student government," Terzulli said. "It was a private school so they wouldn't allow it ... I made up for it, though, by joining the history club and economics club."

Terzulli began his life at AU in 2001 as a freshman from Long Island, N.Y.

"I visited Washington, D.C. the summer before my senior year of high school," Terzulli said. "I always knew I wanted to go to college in D.C. ... It's such a great college town."

At first, Terzulli was a CLEG major.

"I was first attracted to AU because of the CLEG major ... I thought it was designed for me," he said. "Now I am no longer a CLEG major ... I discovered economics was just not for me."

With his term nearing its end, Terzulli reflects on his favorite aspect about serving in the SC: making students happy. For instance, when on the Metro a couple of weeks ago, Terzulli overheard AU students talking about how excited they were to see N.E.R.D. "This made me happy to see that the events we bring to students ultimately make them excited and happy," Terzulli said.

Also, Terzulli has ideas on the future of the SC. He feels that the GA is in great hands with its new speaker, Richard Bradbury.

"One problem that needs to be worked out though is that the GA needs to be more concerned with outward issues rather than internal restructuring," he explained.

Despite spending long Sundays at GA meetings, Terzulli always found a way to entertain himself.

"I usually make lots of jokes with my chief of staff, Mark Meadows," he said. "I try to keep things light-hearted, especially by wearing yellow sweat pants."

Terzulli's plans for this summer include going home to Long Island to work on the Republican National Committee. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani is Terzulli's hero because his policy was to get the job done.

"Giuliani is almost like a hometown hero to me," Terzulli explained. "He grew up on Long Island and became a great leader for New York in its time of need."

While in office, the most famous person Terzulli met was Gov. George Pataki (R-N.Y.). KPU set up a reception for Terzulli and his parents to speak with Pataki before he made his speech to the AU student body during Parents' Weekend last October.

Terzulli's decision not to run for president this year was due to the fact that he wants to live off campus. He feels it is right for the president to reside on campus to be able to show up at a moment's notice. Also, he would like to apply to law school, so next year Terzulli plans to study for the LSATs and enjoy his last year of university life.

With response to comments that he was uptight, Terzulli explained that he feels that he is more in tune with the student body because he lives on campus.

"I am involved," Terzulli said. "I go out with my friends, many of whom are non-SC members, so I find out what's going on with student communities such as greek life."

His most memorable moment as SC president was Mikhail Gorbachev's speech in September.

"It was great to be up in the front of Bender with all of the SC elites," Terzulli said. "I remember whispering to my vice president, Marguerite Meyer, and telling her to turn around ... Bender was just jam-packed full of students ... I believe that we spent student's money in the best way possible."

Terzulli believes he improved the AU student government in three ways. One of these included making student government relevant again, especially the rise in attendance at events.

Also, the entire SC got students excited about campus politics again. "Whether they agreed or disagreed with us, the bottom line is we got them interested," Terzulli said.

A particular aspect Terzulli feels AU needs is more student representation. He feels that a lot of times students don't have enough say in issues.

"I also feel we provided a great service to students through providing course evaluations online," Terzulli said. "Also, discussions with administration were efficient, and we negotiated and discussed many important issues."

A particular incident Terzulli felt he fought hard for was eliminating a parent phone call during a student's first drug offense.

Finally, according to Terzulli, the SC served students through great events such as Eagle Nights, SUB, KPU and Homecoming.

"We have raised $15,000 this past year through the Dance Marathon and D.C. United for the Children's Miracle Network," he said.

A particular time where he faced hardships was right before and after winter vacation, when Terzulli realized Student Advocacy Center Director Richard Garcia and Meyer were not coming back to the SC.

"It was hard to fill their positions," Terzulli explained.

The best advice Terzulli could give to incoming AU student politicians was, "Don't get caught up in the bulls--."

"If you have an idea, get it done regardless, then you can write your own ticket," he concluded.

Terzulli said incoming SC President Polson Kanneth will be facing a transition year. The face and structure of AU student government, such as the revamping of the constitution and bylaws could change.

"Polson will have to deal with a very eclectic and strange mix of personalities," Terzulli said. "The organization literally involves hundreds of people which can be hard to deal with all at once."

Jeremy Holt, the new chief of staff, will have to remain loyal to the SC president and do some of the dirty work it takes to accomplish the job, according to Terzulli.

"Polson's relationship with Jeremy will have to include trusting each other 100 percent," Terzulli said.

Kanneth will be inaugurated April 12 at the annual SC Transition Ceremony.