Golf slices fifth place

In a season that saw them come so close so many times, the end result came as a surprise to no one.

The AU Men's Golf team finished in fifth place at the Patriot League Championship at Colgate's Seven Oaks Golf Course, its final tournament of the year. The Eagles posted a team score of 952, 88 shots above par and 22 shots behind winner Army.

Freshman Todd Shagin finished in 11th place overall in the individual competition after carding a 236 (77-76-83, +20) total.

Coming into Sunday's 27-hole finale, the Eagles were in prime position to strike. They carded a team score of 472 over the first 27 to put them in a tie for second place, two shots behind then-leader Lehigh. Freshman Todd Shagin carded a 115, including a two-over score of 38 over the final nine holes to put him four shots behind leader.

Saturday's round provided a showcase for the Eagle's Seth Kaplan and Phil Kief. Kaplan carded a 119 over the first 27 to put him in 11th position overall, eight strokes off the lead. Kief's first-round 76 was tied for the second lowest round of the day with Hurley.

Junior Chris Scheiffer also provided scoring for the Eagles, carding a 120, and senior Paul Servidio's second-round 42 bailed the Eagles out of a tight position. However, it was a familiar spot for the Eagles and once again, they succumbed to the pressure.

Shagin carded a 38-83 on Sunday to drop him nine places, and Kief's closing-round 79 gave him a 238 for the tournament, 22 shots over par.

Kief finished in 13th place overall while Kaplan, a senior, finished in a tie for 17th in his final tournament as an Eagle. Kaplan carded an 83 in the final round to give him a 239 for the tournament, 23 shots above par.

Schieffer's +24 240 closed out the scoring for the Eagles, who shot a combined 480 on the second day, 48 shots above par.

No team members were available for comment.

The fifth-place finish ties the Eagle's best finish of the spring season, at the Kauai Collegiate Cup in Hawaii March 20 to 21.