Gas prices will keep rising

California hardest hit by price increase

Gas prices are likely to keep rising through spring and into summer, according to the American Automobile Association.

"There's really no end in sight," AAA Mid-Atlantic spokeswoman Sue Akey said.

There are "a variety of reasons" for this, she said, including higher crude oil prices, increased driving during the summer, the war in Iraq and a higher need for the United States to acquire oil from other countries.

"We have chronically low inventory" of oil, Akey said.

She said that gas prices tend to rise during this time of year because "in April, we start switching to the various fuels required during the summer," referring to varieties of gasoline that are more environmentally friendly and required in some states this time of year because of state laws.

While AAA has been expecting an increase in gas prices for a while, prices are higher this month than the group expected, Akey said.

Thursday, the average price for a gallon of regular gas in the District was $1.75, compared to $1.67 a year ago, she said.

These prices have not affected how often senior Jason Phipps drives.

"Whenever I drive into a gas station I think about it, but it doesn't stop me from driving," said Phipps, who has his car on campus.

He said he might think more if a gallon of gas cost him $2.

"I bought gas yesterday and I thought $1.79 a gallon isn't that bad," Phipps said Thursday night.

Akey said that the price of a gallon of gas across the country ranged from $1.61 in Oklahoma to $2.20 in California on Thursday. Prices vary around the United States because of different costs in getting fuel to gas stations and varying state taxes on gas, she said.

While sophomore Terissa Schor does not drive at AU, she said she has still noticed the higher gas prices, such as when she went home to northern New Jersey during spring break.

"It usually takes $10 to fill up my tank and it took $17," Schor said. "That's ridiculous. If it hit $1.85, I would have to think about it. I'm planning some road trips this summer for concerts and stuff, so I'm already thinking about it"