From the Eagle Sports Desk

Richmond takes Eagles 5-2 in men's second straight loss

The AU Men's Tennis team lost its second straight match, falling 5-2 at Richmond on Tuesday afternoon.

Coming on the heels of their first Patriot League loss this season, 4-3 at Colgate on Sunday, the out-of-conference defeat drops the Eagles to 9-6 overall. AU is 3-1 in the PL tied with Army for second place in the conference. Colgate leads at 4-0.

Seniors Tushar Garg and Guillame Tarralle seized AU's only victories in the second and third singles seeds, respectively.

Garg's 6-3, 6-4 win over Richmond's Derek Schwandt marked his seventh straight singles victory. Tarralle, who defeated Richmond's Matt Cabana, 6-4, 6-1, played two steps down from the first-seed position, which this season has typically been his.

AU lost its other four singles matches and yielded the doubles point 2-1. The first-seeded team of Garg and fellow senior Andreas Kulscar secured the only doubles victory, 7-4, in a pro set shortened due to darkness.

The Eagles continue their PL campaign this Saturday against Navy, with doubles action starting at 2:30 p.m. and singles action to follow.

- IAN QUILLEN

Richmond beats AU 9-7 after four-point run in first period.

After falling behind 4-0, the Eagles' women's lacrosse team was unable to come back against Richmond, eventually losing, 9-7, Tuesday at Richmond.

Senior midfielder Tara Michael scored four goals for AU, and freshman midfielder Caitlin Gorman chipped in two.

Down 5-1 with 10 minutes to go in the first half, Gorman scored back-to-back goals to bring the Eagles to within two. A goal by junior attacker Rebecca Copeland with three seconds remaining in the half gave the Eagles some momentum as they entered halftime down 6-4.

In the second half, the teams traded goals, but the Eagles couldn't get any closer than one after Michael's goal with 26 minutes left cut the lead to 6-5. The Spiders quickly countered, as Caroline McGuire scored a goal a minute later.

Sophomore goalkeeper Kathleen Finnegan had her second strong game in a row as she registered 10 saves on 29 shots.

The Spiders, whose goalie, Jackie Swansburg, made only one save, outshot the Eagles 29-10.

The Eagles now prepare to face Monmouth at Reeves Field Saturday at noon before they travel to La Salle next Tuesday.

-JESSE EPSTEIN