Disabled veterans to receive monument

Some students question need for new structure

Mentioning monuments in the same sentence as Washington, D.C., seems redundant to most people. True to D.C.'s reputation, another monument was given the go-ahead for construction.

The monument, funded by the Disabled Veterans' LIFE Memorial Foundation, will honor all veterans who have been permanently disabled from combat. The monument will feature a flame element, as well as stone panels that feature stories of loss, and glass panels, that feature inspirational quotes and phrases.

"With all of the attention given the [World War II] memorial and Vietnam [Veteran's] memorial, people felt that those disabled in the wars deserved their own memorial since they had given so much," said Anne Lancaster, a member of the foundation, as well as an AU alumnus.

Students at AU have mixed opinions on the merits of another monument.

"Honestly, there comes a point when you have to realize that there is a certain amount of recognition and respect you get for being a soldier, and rightfully so, and we have things like Veterans Day for a reason. It's not a matter of not deserving a monument, but it's a matter of semantics," said Ben Mazur, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

Mazur argued that although veterans deserve the utmost respect, if monuments are built for every conflict or injury, there will be no space left.

On the other hand, senior Jake Baerkircher said, "Veterans deserve honor and respect, but spending money in the form of a monument could be better spent in federal assistance."

Both viewpoints seemed to be fairly common on the AU campus. Students seemed to think that monuments offer veterans a level of reverence they deserve and beautify the District, but the money could also be better spent.

"I'm of course in favor of any monuments to honor our servicemen; they not only make this city beautiful and add to the things worth seeing when one comes to visit," said senior Chad Horn. "When we visit the monument, we remember those who served."

The monument will be built when enough funds for its construction and maintenance have been raised. Construction is predicted to begin in 2005, on a two-acre site on Washington Avenue and Second Street SW.