State dept. issues warnings for travelers

Spring break travels: Pleasure or purpose?

As students prepare for spring break, certain warnings are being released to keep students healthy. Statements like "don't drink the water in Mexico" may be considered old jokes, but these warnings are true.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that between 20 and 50 percent of all international travelers each year get traveler's diarrhea, also known as TD, from pathogens in water and food. Risk areas include spring break hot spots like Cancun, Mexico and the Caribbean.

The CDC suggests that travelers drink bottled or boiled water and avoid undercooked food or food from street vendors to prevent TD. People should also never eat raw fruits or vegetables they haven't peeled themselves.

TD is just one hazard spring breakers should watch out for as they travel overseas.

The State Department has issued travel warnings for all American student travelers, particularly those going to Cancun and the Bahamas. The warnings stressed that Americans do not get special treatment or immunity in foreign countries.

"The truth is that Americans are expected to obey all of the laws of the countries they visit, and those who break these laws sometimes face severe penalties, including prison sentences," a general warning said.

Mexico and the Bahamas are rumored to be relaxed about drugs and alcohol, but Americans in these countries are most commonly arrested on drug and alcohol charges.

Drug-related crimes in Mexico and Bahamas have harsh penalties, including prison time. The State Department also warns that drug dealers and traffickers in the Bahamas are often armed and violent.

According to a spring break safety guide released by Collegesafe.com, alcohol is involved in 45 to 75 percent of date-rapes among college students, and date-rape drugs are easily found in Mexico and near the border.

Chadd Ritenbaugh, manager of the STA Travel branch on campus, said the majority of spring breakers are traveling to safe areas of countries like Mexico and Jamaica.

"Generally, these resort areas are safe," Ritenbaugh said. "Just do not wander off with anyone you don't know, and don't go beyond the beach where the resorts end."

He also advised travelers to ask the concierges at their hotels to recommend water-sport dealers and avoid renting mopeds and scooters. According to the State Department, "a number of Americans have been killed or very seriously injured in jet-ski and scooter accidents."

Students taking road trips around the United States during the break do not have to worry about moped traffic in the Bahamas, but they still have to be cautious.

The American Automobile Association suggests carrying an emergency road kit that includes a flashlight, flares or a reflective triangle, distress sign, change for a telephone, first-aid supplies and some basic tools. It is also important to drive a car that has been inspected recently.

The AAA Web site has other information for those planning road trips, including what to do if a car breaks down and how to jump-start a battery.

The most important tip for all travelers this spring break is to use common sense. As Ritenbaugh said, "You have to use common sense when traveling, use it even more so when you're out of your own familiar surrounding"