Men's Tennis aces Bison for first home victory of season

From the Eagle Sports Desk

The AU Men's Tennis team won its first home match of the season, with a 7-0 victory over Howard on Monday afternoon on Reeves courts.

Senior Jonah Fliegelman continued his stellar season with his seventh consecutive victory as he beat Jibade Thomas, 6-4, 7-5. He also partnered with freshman Andrew Singer to win the doubles match, 8-0.

Also scoring singles victories for the Eagles were senior Guillaume Tarralle, who won a 6-0, ret. Decision over Howard's no. 1 player, Kevin Brown, and senior Tushar Garg, sophomore Juancarlo Vazquez, senior Andreas Kulcsar and Singer.

The team of Garg and Kulscar registered an 8-3 doubles victory to clinch the match for the Eagles. The victory was the 44th for Garg and Kulcsar, as the No. 1 doubles team for AU.

Garg's singles match went to a third-set tiebreaker against Brandon Smith. After winning the first set 6-2 and dropping the second set 4-6, Garg beat Smith 10-8 in the third set super tiebreaker.

The win evened the Eagles' record at 4-4 on the young season as they prepare to open the Patriot League season in 10 days. They have matches against Richmond and Georgetown today, before hosting Lehigh next Saturday.