Friday, June 21, 2024

Men's Tennis aces Bison for first home victory of season

From the Eagle Sports Desk

The AU Men's Tennis team won its first home match of the season, with a 7-0 victory over Howard on Monday afternoon on Reeves courts.

Senior Jonah Fliegelman continued his stellar season with his seventh consecutive victory as he beat Jibade Thomas, 6-4, 7-5. He also partnered with freshman Andrew Singer to win the doubles match, 8-0.

Also scoring singles victories for the Eagles were senior Guillaume Tarralle, who won a 6-0, ret. Decision over Howard's no. 1 player, Kevin Brown, and senior Tushar Garg, sophomore Juancarlo Vazquez, senior Andreas Kulcsar and Singer.

The team of Garg and Kulscar registered an 8-3 doubles victory to clinch the match for the Eagles. The victory was the 44th for Garg and Kulcsar, as the No. 1 doubles team for AU.

Garg's singles match went to a third-set tiebreaker against Brandon Smith. After winning the first set 6-2 and dropping the second set 4-6, Garg beat Smith 10-8 in the third set super tiebreaker.

The win evened the Eagles' record at 4-4 on the young season as they prepare to open the Patriot League season in 10 days. They have matches against Richmond and Georgetown today, before hosting Lehigh next Saturday.

As the semester comes to an end and one of the founding members leaves American University, Section 202 has decided to take a trip down memory lane. For our fans, old and new, who are wondering how Section 202 came to be, this episode is a must. Listen along as hosts Connor Sturniolo and Liah Argiropoulos reminisce about the beginning of Section 202 and how it got to where it is now.