Election results lead to runoff

Scroll down to see all election winners, and voting percentages in each SC category.

The elections for president of the Student Confederation, AU's student government, will go to a runoff on Thursday, as no candidate received the required number of votes when the results were announced Tuesday night. The other SC executive positions are locked in place as the respective candidates await the final vote.

Presidential candidates Steve Gilbert and Polson Kanneth are left to face each other in a runoff as they were the top two in the results announced in the Tavern Tuesday night.

"I don't know what to say," Vice President-elect Jason Trombley said after the election results were announced. "I was losing my mind the whole week ... I would say, 'I want to go to Disneyland,' but I have no money."

Trombley was elected vice president with 43 percent of the vote, beating out competitor Matthew Merry by about 15 percent. Comptroller-elect Moamar Tidjani-Dourodjaye is "grateful" after his victory over Will Prouty by more than 20 percent in the election.

Winning is "always a surprise," Tidjani said. "It was very hard for me to have won and I am very grateful."

Jamie Rea beat out competitor Iwona Rusek for secretary by a 26 percent margin. Rea said she was nervous about the results.

"I think I got enough support and it turned out good in the end," Rea said.

Board of Elections Chair Kyle Harding announced the results of the race, which had 1,261 voters take part, an increase of 400 voters from last spring's election.

"We had people decide to come out and run for different offices, put themselves on the line to make what we're doing better," outgoing President Nick Terzulli said. "They energized the campus to go vote for them."

The results also decided the leadership of the classes of 2005, 2006 and 2007 as well as the school councils. Members were elected for seats in the General Assembly, AU's undergraduate-student legislature, for each class and school as well. Positions for the incoming Class of 2008 and residence halls are elected in the fall.

Although the first round is over, Gilbert and Kanneth are now preparing for the runoff on Thursday.

Gilbert chose sports analogies to describe how he felt after the results were announced.

"God just told me to go out and give 110 percent and 110 percent is what I gave," Gilbert said. "We played our hearts out tonight and I'm just looking, God bless, hopefully we will come out on top [Thursday]."

Kanneth showed that his campaign was ready for the challenge with more energy.

"We're really excited and we're really pumped," Kanneth said. "We're going to do it on Thursday."

Kanneth received 452 votes in the election, or 35.8 percent of the vote, to Gilbert's 304 votes, 24.1 percent. The SC Constitution requires a minimum of 40 percent of the vote for a candidate to win in the first round.

In addition to the race between Gilbert and Kanneth, two proposed amendments to the SC Constitution will be on the ballot Thursday. These amendments would alter the purpose of the SC, in order to adapt to the current operating procedures and change procedures under the article on removal from office.

The results of the election and the runoff will be certified at a GA meeting on March 21, where transition to the new GA will occur, Harding said.

The runoff will run from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday in Mary Graydon Center 120. The results will be announced shortly thereafter, Harding said.

Terzulli expressed the campaigns' need to stay energized for the runoff.

"I just remember last year," Terzulli said. "Me and my entire team being so burnt out and it was really, really a struggle for us to build momentum and build energy because we were so tired."

Terzulli lost in the runoff but was later appointed president after Haley Stevens resigned shortly after taking office to study at Oxford University. Terzulli said that his best advice to the defeated candidates was to hope that "the person that beat them goes to London."

Trombley, although on a ticket with Kanneth during the election, said he will work with the president, regardless of whoever it is, and he said one thing is certain: "that is going to be one loud office next year."

SC President

Candidate - Votes - Percentage

Polson Kanneth (runoff candidate) - 452 - 35.8% Steve Gilbert (runoff candidate) - 304 - 24.1% Will Mount - 247 - 19.5% Matt Miller - 196 - 15.5% John Lancelot - 36 - 2.85% Abstentions - 19 - 1.5% Write-Ins - 7 - 0.75%

SC Vice President

Jason Trombley (winner) - 543 - 43% Matthew Merry 347 27.5% Abstentions 181 14.3% Laurie Barnes 178 14.1% Write-Ins 12 0.95%

SC Comptroller

Moamar Tidjani-Dourodjaye (winner) - 647 - 51.39% William Prouty - 391 - 31% Abstentions 193 - 15.3% Mike Inganamort (write-in) - 19 - 1.5% Other Write-Ins - 11 - 0.87%

SC Secretary

Jamie Rae (winner) - 610 - 48.39% Abstentions - 348 - 27.5% Iwona Rusek - 285 - 22.6% Write-Ins - 18 - 1.6%

Winners of Class, School and General Assembly Elections

Class of 2007 - President: Mark Stern - Vice President: Guy Seeman - Comptroller: Andrew Danto - Secretary: Alicia Griffin - General Assembly Representatives: Benjamin Murray, Paul Perry and Meghan Mahoney

Class of 2006 - President: David Benzaquen - No candidates for vice president, comptroller or secretary - General Assembly Representatives: Amy Quemore and Richard Bradbury (One seat remains open)

Class of 2005 - President: Chris Salazar - Vice President: Rachel Weiner - Comptroller: Jaclyn Vigh - Secretary: No candidates - Representative to the General Assembly: Katelyn Keegan (Two seats remain open)

College of Arts and Sciences - No candidates for president, vice president, comptroller or secretary - Representatives to the General Assembly: Christy Mancuso, Stephanie Massaro and Jason Rahan (One seat remains open)

Kogod School of Business - President: Sarah Fass - No candidates for vice president - Comptroller: Gerardo Rodriguez - Secretary: Reggie Lau - Representative to the General Assembly: Robert Chamberlain (Two seats remain open)

School of International Service - President: Ben Sander - No candidates for vice president or comptroller - Secretary: Melissa Jones - Representatives to the General Assembly: Carlos Ramirez, Sterling Johnson and Jonathan Berman

School of Communication - President: Megan Slack - Vice President: Laurie Bernstein - Comptroller: Kristen Zearfoss - Secretary: Emily Smith - Representatives to the General Assembly: Sarah Mashburn and Elizabeth Degi (One seat remains open)

School of Public Affairs - President: Jessica Armijo - No candidates for vice president or secretary - Comptroller: Christina Fisher - Representatives to the General Assembly: Jeremy Taylor, Joseph Gallina and Adam Rosenblatt